The Life Of Being A Mascot

The Life Of Being A Mascot

This will take you into the experiences learned from being a mascot.

787
The Life Of Being A Mascot
Sports Illustrated

Not everyone can say they’ve dressed up in miscellaneous costumes to entertain people.

But, I proudly say I’ve done that, and I have done that for the past three (almost four years) as a source of income. Only certain people can say they enjoy the job, but I have loved every second of it. I am going to take you into the life of a mascot.

When I was a child, I always went to amusement parks or professional sports games. However, I was always more into the characters or mascot there than anything else. When the opportunity arose to apply to become one, I did just that. I was nervous I was not going to even get it when I found out there were auditions. Either or, I thought I would just enjoy every moment of it and did what I needed to do to try and get the job. Anxiously, I heard back and I found that I got the job. I was so thrilled that this would be my first job, and my favorite job to probably ever do. Dressing up and being a different character has helped shape me into who I am. Through the past three years or so, I have learned many life lessons that have changed my life.

First of all, I learned that my coworkers are some of the best people you can ask for. Not only do they have your back, but they always make you laugh even if you’re having the worst day possible. I am beyond thankful for my character family and how awesome they’ve been over the past three years.

Secondly, I’ve learned to come out of my shell and become someone new. Taking on the roles of different characters and mascots has allowed me to be crazy, outgoing and fun when otherwise I may not always be. It has changed me into a new person who isn’t as shy as I used to be. It has allowed me to express emotion when I could not have otherwise. Being these characters has made me so happy because when you do what you love, you are just as happy.

Lastly, I realized that life isn’t going to turn out like that. I’ve held several different mascot positions, and the reality of me having to give it up one day scares me. It was my dream to do it and I still enjoy going to work every day, even though it is seasonal. One day, I am not going to wake up and know that I’ll brighten a kid’s day, make an adult laugh or create lasting memories for families. But, while I can, I will make the most of every moment. Being a mascot is one of the best jobs I have had, and it will always have a special place in my heart. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to love dressing up in sweaty costumes and run around, but the happiness you create for other people is something that leaves a lasting impression. I love being a mascot, and always will love it.