Life is a Marathon

Life is a Marathon

Finding Purpose and Fulfillment in Life, it's not a mad dash to the finish

40
Life is a Marathon
marathon2marathon.net

As the fall season rolls around, and the beginning of my last year as an undergraduate student gets underway, I have seen a trend during my time at university that I think transcends just this university and infiltrates the culture at most universities. It's something that is both readily apparent and something that you might pick up on if you were having a conversation with a college student. Classes suck, studying is a chore, and in general education is just an annoyance, a roadblock that is stressful for many. It's a fruitless endeavor at worst and a fast track to a future job at best. There's an institutionalized ring to it all, in that we all have to jump through more or less the same hoops to get to a job that many aren’t thrilled about in the end.

There’s also a rising trend of people who feel as though the economic system has turned against them, and this is happening at a time when people are adopting increasingly radical political positions. It can get exhausting for anyone after a while.

My overall point to this article is this: set goals for yourself in life, make everything you do purposeful even if it’s relaxing, and don’t take things for granted. It takes some introspection to be able to answer for yourself where you find the meaning in your own life and what you should do to fulfill that meaning. For many people, the question of the future can be anxiety inducing, but one simple method that can be taken to not only quell your anxieties but to guide you to a better understanding of yourself is journaling. Another way to train your mind is towards a purposeful path is through gratitude. Gratitude isn't something that should be forgone either. Studies seem to suggest that being thankful for what you have and who you have increases general well-being and can even earn you more friendships.One final tool that can adopted in avoiding falling into a rut is exercise. Exercise has a wide range of benefits and increases mood according to many studies by prestigious universities such as Harvard.

“There is no right or wrong way to approach journal writing...Reflection is the goal, as everyone is rewarded."
If you remember one thing from the following paragraphs, remember this: life is a marathon. You go day by day and face challenges piece by piece. Failure does not mean you are a worse person, but rather that you still have room to learn and experiences to have. Shifting your perspective and taking a few deep breathes when you feel yourself slipping into a state of anxiety can make all the difference in the world. Each stretch of the marathon (high school, college, parenthood, and beyond) is marked not only by trials and tribulations, but also by celebrations and rest stops, with reminders of what your efforts have brought to fruition.

Of course these tools aren't ways to instantly improving your life and they take dedication and some time, but they are tactics. Thanks for reading, have a purposeful day!