Life With Long Thick Hair

Life With Long Thick Hair

You don't get the struggle

3
Life With Long Thick Hair
Personal Photo

Dealing with this type of hair sure isn't fun. I have long, naturally curly, thick, dark hair, but most people wouldn't know that because it is either always up or straightened. I know millions of other girls, as well, who know the struggle I'm talking about. It's not always fun and easy having this type of hair.

When you are getting ready to go out or go to an event, or having to get done up, you have to time manage a shower in your schedule somewhere. By this, I mean you have to time a shower at the perfect time so you know your hair has time to dry and you have time to do it. I am not one of those girls that can jump in the shower, blow dry their hair and they're ready for a night out. I am one of those girls that has to shower that morning -- or even that night before -- in order to maybe make my hair look decent.

Getting ready isn't the only struggle when it comes to this tangled mess. When trying to do your hair, you might as well not even try to brush it. It's only going to break your brush, or leave your head pounding -- or both. What about when getting a shower? I know I am not the only girl that has an excessive amount of hair come out of their head when getting a shower. Then the thick hair gets stuck in the drain and you have a big ball of hair (at least it's clean!) Long thick hair is not all it's cracked up to be.

Personally, my hair, is thicker on the right side than the left, so it is a pain in the butt to figure out. I will not go out in public with my natural hair. I usually always straighten my hair, which means waking up that much earlier to get ready for the day. But, because of that one side of my head being thicker, the straightness of my hair is never even. At this point, I'm kind of over the way my hair looks, as long as it looks clean and maintained.

So, for all the girls out there like me what is there to do?

I have heard of using a higher concentrated conditioner. Although, I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner, and it works pretty well for me. Oh, and note to self: Stay away from the products with "volume" unless you want an afro!

Applying keratin products to your hair is also supposed to "stop the thickness." I have applied moroccan oil and coconut oil to my hair. There is a noticeable difference, but remember, they're both oils, and they can sometimes make your hair look shinny or damp which usually means greasy hair -- and nobody wants that.

The last tip I have for the atrocious hair is to let it dry overnight. I have found this to be the most time efficient and less of a mess for the morning. It is extremely useful, especially if you like to sleep in a little bit!

Good luck dealing with your thick hair!