Life Lessons from a Toddler

Life Lessons from a Toddler

Having a toddler has made me realize how little I really know and how open to learning I need to be.

11
Life Lessons from a Toddler
Hannah Alexander

As a mom, you learn a multitude of things on a daily basis. Be it something as small as your toddler prefers the green plate over the red plate or some really deep life lessons. Toddlers keep you on your feet and your attention sharp. Here are some things I have learned in the short time I have had a toddler.

1) Sleep is vital to everyone's happiness.

My son is 17 months old and still does not consistently sleep through the night. 16 long months of getting out of bed between one and ten times a night to comfort my child, feed him, or clean up a mess he made while sick. Most high school or college students will tell you that they are not nice people with no sleep. But there is a whole new level to tired when you’re no longer waking up on your own terms. There is also nothing more terrifying than waking up out of a dead slumber to the sounds of a screaming child. Really gets the heart racing.

2) Throwing things away is slightly joyful.

This one might just be something that I have learned but I have found such joy in purging items around my house. Having a kid comes with lots of stuff and goodness, it takes up a lot of room. When he finally outgrows a toy or quits playing with it, I do a little dance that it now goes in the trash or in the sale pile. Does anyone else feel this way? No? Just me? Cool cool.

3) Timing and scheduling are so important.

Between doctor’s appointments, daycare, classes, and work, I would not function without a calendar that tells me exactly what I need to be doing and when. Infants have a ton of doctor’s appointments but if it wasn’t a wellness check for us, it was a sick visit. I plan my life around naps and when it’s time to eat, all to keep a toddler as happy and meltdown free as possible.

4) Toys are overrated and overpriced.

You know what my sons favorite toy is right now? The broom. Last week, he really liked running around the drive way with a giant stick he found in the garage. Tupperware, pots and pans, the duster, the thing we have to get the spider webs out of the corners of the ceiling. You know what he barely plays with? Most of the toys in his room. He might play with his kitchen and he likes to dump the blocks on the floor. But mostly, he plays with things he probably shouldn’t play with. Today, he pushed the vacuum around the house to “help” me clean.

5) Help isn’t always helpful but it brings joy.

This one might not make a ton of sense without some explanation. My son really likes to “help” me do things. Throw things away, put things in the dryer, vacuum, ect. He really is not that helpful. He makes things take twice as long and often makes more of a mess than what we were trying to clean up. But the smile he gives me when he does whatever I asked just makes my day light up. He is so proud of himself whenever he “helps” me that I keep letting him help, regardless of how long it takes and how frustrated I might get.

6) Sometimes, you cannot do things alone.

My son is at that point where he wants to start trying to do everything himself. It hasn’t gotten to trying to get his own food or drinks but he wants to hold his own big boy cup, use his own fork and spoon, get a hold on everything he can. He tries to turn the tv on if he can get his hands on the remote. He gets really frustrated when he cannot do something himself. So sometimes he has to ask me to help or ask my mom to help. He reminds me every day that it is okay to ask for help and it’s okay to need help. Always try it yourself first but if you keep trying without succeeding, asking for help is always an option.

I’m sure there are more things he had taught me already but that is all I going to share right now. Having a toddler is hard and frustrating and sometimes I just want to pull my hair out. His little smile when he tries to tell me about his day is just worth the world and more! I would not trade it all for anything, no matter how hard it gets!