Get The Inside Scoop: What I've Learned From My Part-Time Job At A Local Ice Cream Shop

Learn a little about what it's like behind the scenes.

106
Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

I began working at Penn State's Berkey Creamery just this summer since it's close to my home and heart! In my short time there, I have learned several valuable life lessons and skills to take forward with me into my future career. To summarize what I have discovered over the past few weeks, I have created this quick list of lessons learned from my part time job.

I will take these five tips, hold them close to me and hopefully share them with others throughout my lifetime!

Teamwork Is Vital In Maintaining The Store.

Photo by Hannah Busing on Unsplash

At the beginning of the workday, everyone is assigned a task. Whether it be scooping ice cream, monitoring the entry door or working the cash register — everyone has a specified duty to complete. Tasks change day-to-day, so you don't get bored or tired of your position! However, each person is equally important in maintaining a properly functioning store. One person must lets customers in, while another rings up their purchase and another scoops their ice cream. Someone even opens the door for them to leave! With one missing person, the chain would be incomplete, creating dissatisfaction within the store.

Stay In Your Position; Don't Wander Around.

Photo by Erwan Hesry on Unsplash

Maintaining a proper chain system is important, especially when the store's trying to achieve time efficiency.

Imagine you're working at the store and send someone to the counter to get their ice cream cone. When that customer arrives, no one is behind the counter to even give it to them! You have no clue where they went: to the basement, into the freezer, or to the bathroom? Regardless, they should gotten had someone there to cover their responsibilities in the meantime.

Communicate Openly.

Photo by Headway on Unsplash

If you're unable to come into work — regardless of the reason — you must communicate with your coworkers, supervisors, and managers to ensure that your position is covered. You cannot just refuse to show up without a reason!

Your colleagues count on you to be present at all times.

Share Your Experiences With Your Colleagues.

Photo by William Moreland on Unsplash

Yes, you may have an unpleasant experience with a customer. However, channel that negative energy into something slightly more positive -- a life lesson!

Do not become angry with a customer for asking a question — even if they don't like the answer. You are there to help in any way you can.

Keep Occupied.

Photo by Louis Hansel on Unsplash

A store with countless customers requires active workers. You cannot sit around and watch others do the job you are supposed to do! In the free time between customers, you can restock the store, grab a new bin of ice cream, or clean and sanitize the area. There is always something to be done!

I hope you've enjoyed this inside scoop! Hopefully I've sprinkled some new knowledge into your life.