Life Lessons From Dr. Seuss

Life Lessons From Dr. Seuss

A person's a person, no matter how small.

139
Life Lessons From Dr. Seuss
Wordpress

Growing up, Dr. Seuss was always my favorite author, and his books were always my favorite. Even today, in college, I crave the knowledge of Dr. Seuss. I live by his quotes, and so I decided to pick out a few of my favorites and share them with you guys!

1. "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

This is a great quote because it tells us not to be afraid of speaking our mind. So many people these days are afraid to offend some one to the point where they keep their mouth shut. That's not what you should do, because by keeping your mouth shut and not speaking out, you're not changing things. The ones that are close to you won't mind that you spoke your mind and stood up for yourself. Those who understand your position will not mind either.

2. "You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut."

Open your eyes and explore the world. Take road trips; see the town you live in, the world you live in. Experience life, for if you just stay in one spot your whole life it's like keeping your eyes shut.

3. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."

This speaks for itself.

4. "A persons a person no matter how small."

Treat everyone like they are somebody, like they matter, because they do.

5. "It's better to know how to learn than to know."

Learning is a great thing. To sit in a room and inquire about the world around you and learn why things happened and when they happened and what the chances are of them happening again is a magical thing. It's unfortunate that some people do not have the ability to just sit there and learn. Knowing how to learn is a gift.

6. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not."

This is basically my life quote. When people ask me why I make such a big deal out of a small picture I saw on the internet that is sexist towards women or something of that nature, it's because of this quote. I can't change the world if I do not care. If I see a post that is about oppressing women and I continue to keep scrolling without putting in my input about why it's wrong, then what am I doing? I am voluntarily allowing someone to oppress me, and it will continue to happen unless I speak up for myself. The Lorax is an amazing example of this, and it's one of my favorites.

7. "You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child."

NEVER EVER TOO OLD, TOO WACKY, OR TOO WILD.

8. "Fun is good."

Stop being so serious all the time! Go to the park and slide down the slide, jump off the swings and play tag like you're 5 again. Fun is good for the soul. Sit around with your friends and look up old corny jokes and laugh until you cry. Have a dance party.

9. "Only you can control your future."

If you choose to go out and party every night, then so be it, but don't complain when you end up only being able to work a minimum wage job the rest of your life. If you choose to go to college but not pursue a career with the degree you got then do not say that college is a waste of time. Remember, only you control your future but what you do with what you're given now will influence how it turns out.

10. "I'm afraid you'll play lonely games too, games you can't win because you'll play against you."

What you need to learn is that you won't always have someone around. You need to learn to be okay with being alone. Sometimes you'll face internal problems that you may not be able to voice to another, and that's okay. You do not have to tell everyone your problems all the time, because sometimes they won't be able to help. You are the judge of you and what you choose to tell people.

You can't always win against yourself either. Sometimes you'll be too depressed to get out of bed. That's okay. Some days you'll be too anxious to go to the cafeteria because of all the people, and it's okay if you just sit in your room and eat lunch there. Some days you may not win against your mental illness or other internal problems, and that's okay too. Do not tear yourself up about it. You can't control it. Just be proud of yourself and the days when you do win.

11. "I'm glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone."

Value the time you have with the ones you love. Even value the bad times because once they're gone you'll wish they were there to fight with one more time. You'll wish for one more forgiveness hug, one more ice cream sundae, 'let's make up' date.

12. "I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights."

When you make it big time, do not forget about those who helped you get there and do not forget about why you made it. Do not forget about the ones you may have stomped on to get your way, because those may also be the same ones that will remember you and chose not to vote you into office. Although, you may have stepped on them on your way up, you will always have a chance to change their view of you now that you're a big shot. Make it right and mean it. Give them what they truly deserve and then some because, if you remember, a person is a person, no matter how small.

These are 12 of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes, and I hope that you learned something along the way in reading them. Now, go out and change the world like I know you can!