Lessons My Dad Didn't Know He Taught Me

Lessons My Dad Didn't Know He Taught Me

Not your typical Father's Day "thanks."

50
Lessons My Dad Didn't Know He Taught Me
Carly Marmen

Every year we approach Father's Day with the same attitude. We thank our fathers for raising us, providing for us, and being a role model as we grow up. I can't help but think how cliche and routine it gets. This year I wanted to thank my dad for the things that you won't find inside a Hallmark card.

Thank you for working long nights and weekends. I know how stressful work has been for you, but you give it your all. I know how hard it was to give up days off and weekends at home every now and then, but every time that phone rang, you showed me responsibility and commitment to working your hardest.

Thank you for publicly displaying affection for your wife. As many times as I will roll my eyes and gag, I appreciate the love you two have for each other and how often you show it. You have taught me what to look for in a man and how I should be treated.

Thank you for having passions. Whether it be finding you watching some PBS show or waking up on a Saturday morning knowing that you're outside working on the yard, I know that every time you have free time it is spent doing something you love. That is truly admirable. It has taught me to constantly follow my passions regardless of how busy life gets.

Thank you for being realistic. You have always been the biggest supporter of my dreams, yet at the same time never let me float to far into the clouds. You kept me grounded while still giving me the hope that I can achieve anything if I work hard enough.

Thank you for the silence. I'm not one to express myself with deep talks about all that is going on in my life. Aside from my introverted nature, I know that there is always a listening ear nearby or a shoulder to cry on. So thank you for accepting that I tend to keep to myself and for being there when I am ready to open up.

Thank you for spoiling me. Aside from providing basic needs for us, you always go the extra mile. Whether it be taking us out for ice cream just because or bringing home a new dress because you thought of me when you saw it, you always put in extra effort and have taught me the importance on doing the little things to keep your family happy.

Thank you for punishing me. I may hate the consequences that follow, but it is usually always deserved. You have taught me that mistakes come with consequences and I will always remember that. I have learned more about myself and my mistakes through the thought out punishment I receive.

Thank you for loving me. I can be hard to love. I can be a hard-headed brat, but regardless of my attitude, I know you will always love me. You have taught me that real love never gives up.

Thank you for letting me grow. I know it is hard to watch me grow up and start to form a life of my own. You raised me right and I have no doubts that I can go into the world and one day grow to be like you. No matter how old I get, I'll always be your little girl.