19 Life Lessons I've Learned In 19 Years On Planet Earth
Life Stages

Nothing makes me qualified to give advice, but I'm going to try regardless.

72

I'm officially in my last year of adolescence and teen-hood. I've survived almost two decades on Earth and I think that's deserving of some applause.

I've learned a lot in the past 19 years of surviving, and I thought I'd share some of that wisdom. I may not be completely qualified to give life advice, but I won't tell anyone if you don't.

Sometimes, it's OK to say no

Once, I drank five coffees in one day. I vibrated for like two days after that. I learned my lesson since then.

It's not to drink decaf (that's for losers), but it is that sometimes, it's okay to say no when everyone asks for you to go get coffee with them. Or, just suggest going somewhere else to hang out.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

The first time I discovered the show "New Girl," I stayed up until five a.m. watching it. It was summer, so I didn't have any reason why I couldn't, but it took the rest of summer to get back into a regular schedule.

Trust your gut

Shaggy was always right when he had a funny feeling about somewhere. You are your best judge.

Everyone's a little weird

I can do a goat impression. I know someone whose cat is immortal. I know a lot of people who run Instagram accounts for their pets.

Everyone has something about them that makes them interesting and quirky and finding that out is the best part of making friends.

"The Office" is the best show ever

It's quotable in literally every scenario. The comedy is iconic and everyone I know loves it. "The Office" is the best. show. ever.

"Healthy" is relative

Once I got so stressed out from trying to follow a diet that I cried. It's not worth it. If you aren't happy, it isn't worth it.

Progress doesn't always mean moving forward

I wrote an article about this almost a year ago. Some days, it's okay to just breathe. We weren't made to go 100% all day every day. Take a break, you'll thank me later.

Change doesn't wait for you

God, the universe or whatever you believe causes change isn't going to take you by the hand and tell you things are changing. It doesn't ask for your opinion and it doesn't care if you have one in the first place.

Things are going to change and sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it. That's OK.

Also, wanting a sign is a sign

I can give you some very specific times in my life where all I wanted was a sign. I wanted signs from God on where to go and if the path I was taking was correct. I wanted reassurance in things I was scared to do or didn't want to be the answer.

God will give you signs until they're too loud to ignore. Stop ignoring them.

You can't grow in the same place that caused you pain

Some people like to act like if you aren't friends with your exes you're the problem. You aren't.

Being friends with your exes isn't impossible, but sometimes if an environment was toxic you need to get away from it in order to truly move on. Growing pains are real and they hurt, but they cause more good than harm.

Unexpected people will fall into your life and you should find out why

My senior year prom date hated me until our junior year. He's one of the only people I talk to from high school on a regular basis. I'm blessed that I took the time to get to know him, and I am so thankful that he made a second/third/fourth impression.

Let yourself hurt

It's tempting to want to seem like you can't be knocked down. I hate to let others see me cry. That's bad. Make yourself vulnerable. The good ones will stay, I promise.

Crying is OK

Crying happens when your body feels so much emotion that it just can't handle it anymore. If you're extremely sad, you'll cry. If you're so happy that your body just can't handle it anymore, you'll cry.

Happy-crying is the best feeling in the world and I feel bad for you if you've never felt it.

Tell your friends when you're hurt — if you can't, get new friends

I used to never tell people when they hurt me because I was afraid of offending them. If someone hurts you, they should know about it so you can get it off of your chest and they get a chance to explain themselves or gain perspective on their own actions.

If your friendship/relationship can't handle a mature conversation where someone takes responsibility, you shouldn't be in that friendship or relationship.

Attachment and love are two different things

Don't stay in any relationship because it's what you think love is. If you feel trapped, it isn't love. Trust me, you'll know.

If you love someone, say sorry

If someone can't trust you to take responsibility, why should they? You don't choose when you hurt someone. Pride is one hell of a drug and it only makes you look bad.

No one's perfect, don't treat them like they are

Putting people on a pedestal is unfair to everyone involved. No one deserves the ability to dictate your happiness on a daily basis. I know romance movies put a premium on those "a day without you is a day wasted" mentalities, but that's really creepy.

I'm a busy person and I honestly hope I'm no one's main source of happiness. Find it from within.

Criticism is your best friend

The hardest part of becoming a writer was accepting criticism. It's a necessary part of the writing process and life. However, criticism is always made up of suggestions, not requirements.

Don't think too much

It took me approximately five minutes to decide to write for Odyssey. I changed my major after a 10-minute conversation with an editor of a publication that I'm not even a part of. I just do what makes me happy and I've never felt more like myself.