Life Isn't a Fairytale

Life Isn't a Fairytale

and I'm Not a Princess

178
Life Isn't a Fairytale
Etsy

“I’ve always been told I was a princess, and that I should never settle for someone who treats me as less than that.” Or something like that, was in an article I recently read. Treatment like a princess could be interpreted in so many ways, but my perspective is that treatment like a princess is to never be challenged or let down. That is because this article was a “stop shaming” article, which I absolutely can’t stand.

I’m not going to call out that author because that would make me a bully. The fact that author wrote a stop shaming article makes me perceive them as a crybaby, as a result of always being treated like a princess. Because that is what they claimed to always be treated as, and I think those who write “stop shaming” articles are crybabies. I think being treated like a princess means always getting everything handed to them and being told to that they should avoid people in their lives who make it hard. This is just my perception, and I’m very different from this author in the sense. I think being a princess means being a spoiled, entitled crybaby, and I believe that is not what I am. I’d say I’m a driven, strong individual.

I would consider myself privileged, but I didn’t get everything handed to me. I had to work for privileges as a challenge to myself, and got them taken away if I abused them. Then I had to earn them back by showing I changed for the better. If a “princess” messes up, she’s likely to still be treated as a princess and not have to deal with consequences. I know many “princesses” who make it obvious they got everything handed to them. They make a huge deal when told “no,” by making someone sound like a bully while they play play the victim.I’ve learned to handle many types of rejection, from plans with friends to college admission and everything in between. I allow myself to be sad for a little bit and then do what I have to do to make the best of the situation. I don’t write a “stop shaming article” as the victim of rejection. In one of my previous articles which I hyperlinked multiple times in this one, states that everyone is entitled to living their lives the way they choose, and if that’s the way you choose to live and you’re happy, just keep living that way. This includes princesses, so please know that this article isn’t to throw shade on them. It’s only to state what I think that means and why I’m glad that wasn’t me.

Because the princess attitude hasn’t done a good job of keeping friends in my experience- they tend to drive away people with the attitude that everything goes their way, and become very aggravated when they’re told “No.” People in and out of my life were a result of the way they made me feel. I didn’t allow them to stay if they kept hurting me. They didn’t treat me like princess, and they made me who I am today. I can see through the smiles and eventual manipulation in some people I meet, because of what they taught me, and I don’t allow myself to be treated that way. This was something that took time, but I maintain a positive life with these skills. I’m not the same person I was a year ago, and I’m proud of who I am. I have every reason to be when there is so much going right in my life. That is a life I built with the support I have, from everyone who didn’t treat me like a princess.

One time I had the opportunity to be treated like a princess, was when my professor asked how I felt about the test I just took in class. I told him it was alright and that I was just already stressed out because that was my 2nd test out of three that day. He proceeded to ask why I didn’t say something to arrange a different time to take the test, to ease the pressure of three tests that day. I simply answered with, “I’m fine, I can handle it.” What I meant is, I don’t need special treatment. I don’t need arrangements to feel like a princess by turning down a hardship. I can handle what comes my way and three tests in one day is something common in college, and it’s something I have to handle. College prepares for the real world and that is one way it does, and I’d be doing myself a disservice by trying get “princess arrangements” and not taking it on. Because in the real world, there are going to be hardships like that one, and far worse ones. I need to practice handling them, and I don’t make special treatment an option when I’m in the time of my life preparing for the real world. Special treatment in this time of my life will excuse me from the lessons I need to learn by easing the situations, and I don’t want or need that. I’ll stress/mope/cry for a few minutes, start figuring out what needs to be done and then act on it. When I overcome it, I reflect and realize I did a great job and be proud of it.

The only time I felt like a princess was when I wanted to dress up like one for halloween, I had a puffy pink dress and a tiara. I was 5 years old then, and I’m going to keep it that way. I don’t expect everyone in my life always be on the best terms with me, but I do my best to avoid drama. I know life is a rollercoaster and it won’t always be going right like it is now, so I’m trying to live it up. I expect to have setbacks, but I know I can overcome them with everything I learned. I don’t know why certain things happen at times, and I know that tough times don’t last- but tough people do. I’m ready to battle whatever comes my way, because I’ve become tough. I’m not saying princesses don’t have my attitude at all, I’m saying the princess attitude tends to be the opposite and I don’t see that as a good thing in anyway because of the results I’ve seen.

I’m not a princess. Life isn’t a fairytale where everything works out the way I hope. I can’t hop on my high horse and ride away every time something gets hard. I don’t have a high horse nor can I afford one. I just take on every challenge and every responsibility coming my way because I’ve become strong. Life with the princess attitude isn’t the life for me.