Life Is A Lot Like A Game

Life Is A Lot Like A Game

"Life is like a game...you have to play the hand you're dealt. A wise player can play a weak hand and win the game." - Rick Warren

13
Life Is A Lot Like A Game

I imagine life is a lot like a game. We are put here for a reason, and it’s not to make money and die. It’s something so much greater, and as each day goes by, I find myself moving, ever so slowly, to the point of it all, let’s call this the “big win.”

It’s hard to get started, because it doesn’t come with a rule book. Thank God for giving us cheat sheets to get us started. Our parents teach us language and the basics to survive. I imagine school being categorized in this same manner. We begin to develop and form social skills that will be used, throughout. Having friends to play with, makes games so much more enjoyable, and it gives a variety to the games you can play.

I imagine God looking down at each of our game boards. He, ultimately, moves the pieces, but we influence his next move. Everything happens for a reason. It’s as if we’re given the dice, but no matter where you go, you’ll still be playing on that same board. You pass plenty of ways to cut it short, but he, ultimately, decides when it’s time to put your pieces back in the box.

No two people are the same, no two people have the same set up. Remember this as you stroll through your day. Some may face more challenges, their lives have harder rules; "How am I supposed to buy the newest IPhone when I have such an expensive car payment?" can also be, "How am I supposed to feed my children and pay the electric bill this week?".

It’s all about strategy, and the love for the game. Do you wake up each day ready to accomplish your goals? Or do you lay in bed for hours thinking about all that could be, but never will be, with the lack of motivation you carry?

It’s about making the most of the journey, and the board you were given. Do you recognize your strengths and weaknesses? Have you firmly grasped how to use them and better society? Wake up each morning with those thoughts running through your head, and it will change your life, forever.

Are you a good listener? Do you really enjoy playing basketball? Think about all of the things that make you who you are and imagine how, if they could all be incorporated into one career, how it could impact society. That’s your calling.

Remember that college is not for everyone and that positions such as an employee in retail or a waiter can make differences. Have you ever walked into a store, searching for the perfect Homecoming dress, and the woman helping you try on dresses knew exactly what you liked and needed. She could read on your face that you don’t exactly like your curves, but you absolutely loved the dress. She gives a gentle, “You look absolutely stunning,” and pauses. “It fits you beautifully, do you think this is the dress?” and you somehow find the confidence, and watch as the image in the mirror morphs into something spectacular. You stare in awe, and reply “Definitely.”

Years of school does not guarantee success because it, ultimately, is not based on money. At the end of my life, I want to close my eyes, knowing that I did all that I could, with what I was given. I want to reflect on all of the cards, the good and the bad, when I decided to "take a chance" and be sure of the fact that it all happened for a reason, and that I was wise enough to understand why that card was next in the deck (even if it didn't seem, at all, fair at the time).

We’re all here to learn and to strategize. To develop the skills our souls were given, so we can move on to greater things, to bigger games, things we are not sure of, although, I’m sure that we are brought to when we are ready. Whether death is accidental or planned, self-inflicted, or brought upon by old age, we come to the end of the game when we did all that we could for the people influenced by our lives. If death seems unfair, think of all that that person did in their life; and if you find you are struggling to think of something extraordinary, think of who they were as a person. Did they always bring a smile to your face? Did they make you laugh, even when you had the absolute worst day?

Did you change from the news of their death? Did someone around you? We will never know what their plan was. I believe that some are brought here, solely, to help others develop. Through their death, brought rebirth. Aunt Sue recognized how short life is, and finally, after 20 years, decided to quit smoking. Your cousin, Beth, changed majors so that she may help search for the cure of cancer, and you, you think too damn much, so you write it out, for hours on end.

It hits you that you haven’t picked up a pen and rhythmically placed words together in years.

I don’t have all of the answers for you on why I’m here, why you’re here; frankly, I don’t have all of the answers for anyone, but I am certain of one thing. Each of us have something unique to bring to the table. There’s potential in even the simplest of people. We’re all here to help one another grow, either through the most beautiful experiences, or through the worst heartbreak.

Just make sure when it’s getting late, and it’s time to put the game away, you did all that you could for that “big win.”