Life As A College Graduate

Life As A College Graduate

Graduate they said. It'll be fun they said...

22
Life As A College Graduate

In high school, you get on a bus every day and attend classes all day long. As a girl needing to dress “perfect” every day, this meant waking up at 6 am just so I could be ready to catch my bus by 7:05. High school occupied my time from 6 am until 2:30 in the afternoon. Probably one of the best parts of college was the fact that you could schedule classes that would start at maybe 11 and your last class would end by 3:30. This means lots of sleeping in. Not only do you get more sleep, but also you can pretty much wear whatever you want to class and no one is going to judge you because they are doing the same thing.

The next best part about college is that you have no one telling you what you can and cannot do. Unfortunately, this can be the best or, at times, the worst. You can make your own decision to go out, but you can also make your own decision to skip class. Hopefully, your roommate, like mine did, will wake you up and force you to go.

College taught me many things, some more important than others. It taught me what it means to be a friend. It taught me how important it is to be responsible for your actions. However, like I said, it taught me some things that maybe aren’t as important as the others. It taught me how to hit snooze ten times, but still make it to class with a minute to spare. It taught me how to convince people to give me a ride to class. And last, but certainly not least, it taught me how to drink a beer in record timing.

College was great, but all good things have to come to an end. In four short years, I had received my degree and had to move out of the place I call home. As tears fell from my face, I couldn’t imagine my life outside of college.

Starting college was one of the most anxiety packed, but still exciting, experiences in my life. It marked a time where I was no longer a child, but an adult, or so I thought. Now that college is over, the adult life is in full swing. This means that it is time to answers everyone’s millions of questions about the job search.

Here’s the thing, it's terrible. Entry-level jobs require experience that newly graduated students do not have. This means we must search for many other jobs that unfortunately may not be in the field that we have a degree in. Many of us work multiple jobs in order to make enough to pay for our new cars, our new apartments, or any other “adult-like” expenses. Not to mention the thousands of dollars we owe back in student loans!

Overall, the graduate life is full of attempting to be an adult one step at a time and it involves much more work than it does play. Today, almost two months of the adult life, I am working two jobs, neither of which are in my field. I am leasing a 2016 vehicle and I manage to find time to spend with loved ones. Do I consider myself to be an adult? HELL NO. But, trust me, it’s harder than you think.