7 Things Music Has Taught Me About Life

7 Things Music Has Taught Me About Life

Playing the trombone for 10 years and learning about music as a whole has taught me some solid life advice.

407
7 Things Music Has Taught Me About Life

Having spent 10 years playing the trombone, I don't plan to leave music any time soon. Not only is music enjoyable; it also helps me to understand the world better. When I don't understand a concept, I look back to music to help me understand it. There have been countless ways I've been able to transfer what I have learned in music to other areas of my life. Yep, I've even been able to use music to help me understand chemistry! Keep on reading to learn about 7 of the best pieces of life-advice I've learned from music.

1. Know your groove. Focus on the groove.

The "small background noise" many musicians refer to as the groove, is easily disregarded and under-appreciated in music because of its repetitive nature and feel in comparison to the melody. I would beg to argue, however, that it is arguably the most important part and is a foundational layer of any piece of music. Likewise, our groove in everyday life- the repetitive and routinely thoughts we have and actions we do- has an immense value in our lives. When trying to make a change, I've learned that our attitude and routine plays a big role in what we accomplish. For example, if I wanted to shed a few pounds, I would change my attitude towards food and think of it a source of fuel for the body rather than a pacifier which would ultimately change my routinely habit of mindlessly eating to cope with stress.

2. It's not too difficult, it's just unfamiliar.

This past semester I attended the SunCoast Jazz Festival and was in a masterclass where Wycliffe Gordon, a well known Jazz musician, shared this piece of advice to the audience. He went on to explain how "Giant Steps", a piece of music that is often feared by Jazz musicians as being "too difficult" was because people are simply unfamiliar with it. I love this piece of advice because it goes beyond just music. By approaching any problem with the mindset of it being unfamiliar, we are more likely to view the problem as more approachable.

3. Focus on the task at hand instead of yourself.  

Struggling with the nerves of having audition anxiety and doubt, a wise coach once advised me to focus on the music instead of focusing on myself. I soon began to realize that I could apply this advice to most things I had doubted myself with: presentations, school work, and even forming social relationships.

4. Who we are is largely influenced by who we surround ourselves with.

As a jazz trombonist, I enjoy improvising new lines and interacting with different musical structures. I have recently noticed that my ideas are inspired by previous musical phrases I've played before. As musicians, we are told to listen to the musicians we want to sound like. Likewise, in life, we should surround ourselves with the people we aspire to be like, as we are influenced and inspired by them.

5. It's not the tangible objects that create meaning in our lives; but rather, the relationships we have that do.

What distinguishes music from a random collection of pitches are the relationships between one note to the next.These relationships are founded upon tension that is created when two pitches are placed at a particular distance, known as an interval. For this reason, a piece of music is recognizable regardless of the key it is played in as long as it has the same relationships from one note to the next. This idea has taught me the importance of relationships in my life with people, ideas, and things.

6. Just feel it.

When I first started playing jazz, this piece of advice aggravated me the most because I was a technical player and wanted to be able to understand the music I was trying to play. What I've come to learn is that music is founded upon feeling the vibrations of sound. Long before sound is audible, it has a vibration that can be felt. Human experience is founded upon our sensations. In any problem, it is useful to notice all sensations that I feel in order to help me understand the situation at hand and how to respond.

7. We can not find freedom without first having structure.

I've always loved music's freeing nature. I would spend hours noodling on my instrument with no specific structure for my practice sessions. It wasn't until last semester when I realized I feel more overwhelmed not having any structure. I realized music's freedom comes with exploring the many combinations you can make over a particular progression of chords. Without that structure there is no freedom to find. I realized that when I improve on my instrument and expand my knowledge of music, I can broaden my awareness of new patterns I can form and ways to articulate them which ultimately expands my freedom. In life, having an intentional routine can make a world of a difference on expanding your ability and therefore, freedom.