Life Advice From Someone Who Has Barely Lived Life

Just because I’m young that does not mean I haven’t learned a thing or two about living life

46
Unhinged Magazine

I am 18 years old. In the grand scheme of things, that is not very old, but it is still old enough to have experienced enough to have picked up a few things that will make life less sucky. Over the years I have collected said advice and lessons and kept them in a journal. I am not saying that this advice is always going to be relevant or the best advice that you will ever hear, but, from the limited life that I have lived, the following six pieces of advice are the most important things that I have learned in my short time here on earth. Without further ado:

1. Everything will happen and you will make it through.

This seems pretty straightforward, right? Well, think back to something that you dreaded. A huge test, an interview, college decisions being released, whatever it was, everyone has dreaded something (and probably more than just one something). That event that you dreaded happened. You got through it. Congratulations! You will get through those horrible things no matter how hard you try to prevent them or how hard you try to avoid them. Take the SAT. The SAT is something that everyone who is planning on going to university in the U.S. must take. For weeks leading up to the test, you will dread it. Everyone dreads it. The night before the test you might stay up late studying or watching a movie to make the time between the now and the start of the test seem longer (I recommend getting sleep instead, but that’s on you). The next morning you will wake up bright and early, go take the test, hate every minute of it, and then go home to eat, sleep, and watch TV. It’s the same with finals or an interview: they will happen. A scary first date? You bet it will happen. Whatever it is, it will happen, and all you have to do is breathe and remind yourself that you will survive.

2. When one of your best friends gets their first boyfriend/girlfriend/whatever they might drive you crazy.

They’ll probably spend 24/7 together. Every time you want to hangout with this friend, they will probably try to invite said significant other to join. You will feel like you are losing your best friend and that this best friend is putting his or her significant other above you. You might want to scream and tell your best friend that you can’t handle their relationship or that she or he must pick between you and the significant other. DON’T. Just remember that you are his or her best friend and that when things go south you will need to be there for him or her. Be there for you best friend and be happy for him or her because one day that might be you.

3. Say yes.

Did a boy just ask you on a date? Say yes even if you’re afraid that it will be awkward or that you’ll say something stupid. It might be the worst date you will ever go on but at least you will have a good story to tell. Did someone offer you concert tickets to a band that you have never heard of? Go! They might suck or they might be your new favorite band. Either way, at least you know. Did a friend ask you to go bungee jumping even though you’re afraid of heights? Say yes! You might turn back once you get there, but at least give yourself the chance to try!

4. Go out and have fun.

Be young. Put your homework down for the night and go do something wild. Get your mind off of things. It doesn’t matter that you get straight A’s or that you’ve never broken a rule in your life! Go out and party! You’re only young for a very short amount of time and one day you will regret what you didn’t do, not what you did do. I’m not saying that you should break laws, not be responsible, or not prioritize school, all I am saying is have fun while you can!

5. Please, talk you people!

Make conversation with strangers on the subway. Say hello to someone in class that you have ever talked to. Ask someone how their day has been while you’re waiting in line at the grocery store. Don’t let your shyness or fear of looking stupid control you. The worst that can happen is that you embarrass yourself, but, in the end, who cares?

6. Let go!

I’ve written an entire article about this, but here's the gist: Don’t second guess what you want to do! Dance to a street performer’s music! Sing karaoke! Say yes! Be embarassed! Laugh a little! Laugh at yourself a little more! Take a chance and learn to live life!

Take my advice, or don’t, but whatever you do, please live a life that you can smile about.