Liberal vs Conservative: What Do You Know And Where Do You Stand?

The words liberal and conservative and thrown around so often, but what do these groups actually stand for?

9474
Student News Daily

The terms liberal and conservative have been thrown around a lot recently, especially as we're in the midst of election season. However, do you really know what each of these ideologies actually believe? Do you know where liberals and conservatives stand on some of the most controversial issues facing Americans today? It's definitely crucial to ensure that one understands what these two ideologies believe, especially since their belief systems lay the foundations for both the Republican and Democratic parties. In this article, I'll mention the basics of liberalism and conservatism in addition to discussing where each belief system stands in regards to a few pressing issues.

Liberalism is grounded by the idea of heavy government involvement. Liberals argue that the government should be more hands on in helping the American people solve problems. Conservatism emphasizes the idea of the responsibility of the individual to solve problems, not the government. Conservatives are grounded in traditional values and promote the idea of limited government intervention. Now let's discuss the groups' outlooks on major topics.

Abortion

When it comes to abortion, liberals believe that a woman should always have the right to choose because it is ultimately her body. Liberals even go far enough to say that the government should provide abortions (paid for by taxpayers) for women who can't pay for an abortion on their own. On the opposite end of the spectrum, conservatives strongly oppose using taxpayer money for abortions. Conservatives believe that an unborn fetus is a human life and should be treated with the same respect and dignity as any other human being. They also operate under the belief that the fetus has rights separate from it's mother, born or unborn.

Economy

Liberals believe that a market system regulated by the government is ultimately the best idea for the economy because it levels the playing field for all and prevents large businesses from taking over. Liberals focus on the economic prosperity of the public sector, not private markets. Conservatives argue that a free market system is most beneficial because it can potentially produce more economic prosperity overall. The idea of a freely competitive economy also fuels conservatives.

Gun Control

According to liberals, American citizens do not need guns for individual protection because it is the job of the government to protect people. Liberals often push for stricter gun control laws, stating that more guns inevitably lead to an increase in violence. Conservatives, however, argue that since the right to bear arms is enumerated in the United States Constitution, all individuals should have the right to purchase a gun for personal protection if they so choose. Conservatives also believe that stricter gun control laws will not stop criminals from getting their hands on guns.

Immigration

As a result of the election, immigration has been a heavily discussed topic recently. Liberals not only support legal immigration, but they also support amnesty for those who are undocumented. Liberals also believe that undocumented immigrants should have access to the same benefits and rights as citizens. While conservatives support legal immigration, they do not believe in amnesty for those who are undocumented immigrants. Conservatives also strongly feel that the nation's borders should be better secured as a means of stopping the problem of illegal immigration. According to conservatives, if one enters the country illegally, they are not entitled to the same rights as a citizen.

Overall, liberals and conservatives have such differing opinions that they may never see eye to eye. While both groups make take very different stances on various issues, they both believe to have the best interest of the country at heart. Do you find yourself to be more liberal or more conservative?