An Open Letter To The Church About The LGBTQ+ Community

Hey church, it's time we talk...

27

Dear church,

There seems to be a constant tension between the church and the LGBTQ+ community. Constant fighting, defending of beliefs, and judgement thrown from both sides.

The way the church as a whole approaches this specific reality is an ever pressing issue as the normalcy of LBGTQ+ has been increased and saturated into our culture.

I will make a bold claim as someone that is a part of the church.

We need to apologize. We need to re-evaluate the state of our heart.

I think we have prioritized the law over grace. Judgement over love. Our opinions over humility.

“Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” “

This passage is found in the book of Matthew, and the end of this passage has some serious weight. All of the law is on these two things.

How serious do you think Jesus was when he said this?

It wasn’t flippant or said only to drive a point across.

He told us to first love and pursue Him- followed by loving and pursuing others.

He didn’t tell us to put our beliefs before our love.

Our doctrine before our love.

Our comfort before our love.

He simply told us to love.

Love as we would love ourselves.

When did we as a body of believers take on the role of ultimate judge?

When did we assume we could choose how we treat each individual?

You don’t blink an eye at someone who confesses to have a drinking problem, or someone who struggles with lust, or with anger, pride, or slothfulness. Why is homosexuality where you choose to draw the line of acceptable sins vs. unbearable sins?

If we are going to isolate sins and begin ranking which sins are “acceptable” and which sins disqualify one’s ability to be part of a church we need to remember that all sin is equal in God’s eyes. That if we are are not allowing someone in homosexuality to hold membership in our churches- we need to then not let those with pride, those with lust, those with habitual lying hold membership either. If this is our scale of judgement, who is left?

Jesus allowed prostitutes to weep at his feet, engaged in conversation with a woman living in sexual immorality, protected an adulterous woman from being stoned.

If Jesus, the one truly perfect man, showed love and grace to such people. What right do we have to shut them out?

Now, do not read my words and think that I am saying to let go of your biblical beliefs- I, in fact, encourage you to hold them. But, how can you react in love and humility to those seeking the Lord, no matter what their lifestyle is?

When has the law won someone over to the Lord? How is demonstrating that the Lord doesn't accept or extend mercy going to win people to Christ?

If we believe that Christ's grace is all powerful, and his love irresistible, how are we showing this?

We need to remember that churches are houses of the Lord- those four walls are dedicated to fellowship with other believers. Not a house of our opinion, not a house of our own ideas, not a house for us to claim ownership over who comes in and who stays out.

How is our shunning and condemning treatment of the homosexual community any better than what we read about the pharisees stoning the prostitute?

We scoff at the pharisees but accept our own actions. Where is the humility or love in that?

I’m not claiming to have handled this perfectly, or to not have been someone to handle this incorrectly.

But, this goes so far beyond issues with bathrooms, issues with what is taught in schools, issues with how to address those who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community.

Allow love, see the individual as one whom God fiercely loves, and extend Christs grace just as you would wish it for yourselves.

I think in order to more effectively share the gospel, to more effectively have involvement with the unreached we must first lay down our judgement of sins, and our need to label and take stances on how to handle sins.

So, church, you and me alike need to lay down our opinions and judgement. We need to pursue loving God first and loving his beloved people first.

Let love win, let Christs love win.

Most sincerely,

One of you, on the same journey of living in a loving way.