Letting Go Before I Felt It Was Time

Letting Go Before I Felt It Was Time

"Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become what you'll be." -Candace Bushnell

145
Letting Go Before I Felt It Was Time
Kendall Gatewood

In life, we have to learn to let go. Letting go isn’t always easy, but sometimes it’s necessary.

Have you ever met someone and thought, "dang, they’re super cute?" So naturally, you begin to talk to them. You get to know that person, you being to spend time with that person, you might even date. This person begins to be a part of your life. You talk to this person on the daily, and they even might become the person you turn to when life gets tough. You can’t begin to imagine what your life would be like without them! Then, something happens…

Something happens between you two. You discover your goals in life are completely different. Distance could be too hard. You both want to go back to where you grew up. You found out this person had another side that doesn’t fit with your personality. Whatever it may be, you and this person have to go separate ways before you are truly ready. Here’s an open letter to the person letting go and the person being let go.

To the one, I’m letting go of too soon,

I really didn’t think this day would come. When I first met you, I could see you in my future for a long time. I know our separation will be for the better but right now it’s hard. I might play this off as being easy…but it's far from easy. I want you to know I still care a lot about you, I wish things didn’t have to be the way they were.

I hope we can still be close. I know I’ll keep up with you on social media and wish I was outside playing corn hole with you as well when you post those goofy snaps. You’ve taught me a lot and I’m forever grateful. They say every person that crosses our paths is there to teach us something, and I'm glad we got to spend some time together. I will have memories to cherish for a lifetime, from all the late night park adventures to all the random fishing trips.

It’s crazy to think that one day when we’re older we will be telling stories about all the crazy things we did. It’ll make me think of you and I'll smile! Or someday I'll see a picture of you on social media and smile at the good times. In the future, the struggle will only make us stronger. We won’t remember the nights we stayed up late thinking about how we could have fixed this, or how we feel sorry for ourselves.

In the end, everything that happens happens for a reason. I know we don’t know the reason now, and we might not even know it tomorrow. But someday when we learn the lesson, we will know it was all worth it. I wish you the best in everything you do! Keep in touch

To the one having to move on after the leaving,

It’ll all work out in the end. The person you’re letting go of will understand. Sometimes in life, things change and it’s no longer time for them to be in your life. You have to learn to move on. You can still care about that person, and stalk them on social media, though. You can still send them that funny meme or that random snap of something that reminds you of them.

You can still be friends! But when you leave this person, you are leaving a little changed. Every person you meet along the way has an impact on your life. They change you when they cross your path. Also if we think about it, the person you let go is thinking the same thing you are, they had to let go of you as well. Don’t forget to give them space.

When you let someone go, you have to change the way you talk to them. You have to begin to talk to them less. While they once were the person you told everything to, now they are just a friend. You will never begin to get over them until you accept the fact that what once was, is no longer.

Letting go of someone isn’t easy and by no means am I trying to make it sound easy. I just want you to know you are stronger than you think you are. You can make it through anything. In a year from now you’ll be laughing about all the good times you had with that person and you’ll look back and smile. You won’t remember the pain.

In the end when you make the decision to move on from someone. It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. It’s hard. Also when things happen in life, while it might not feel like the right thing at the time, it is! There's a plan to your life and a reason everything happens the way it does! Just go with the flow and enjoy every little moment. The past has already happened, and the future will come no matter what, just enjoy this present moment!