A Letter To My Grandma

A Letter To My Grandma

I should have thanked you a long time ago

17
A Letter To My Grandma
pixabay.com

Grandma,

It’s been a while since we’ve talked. While I’m at school, I get caught up in a whirlwind of academic and extracurricular work, and often have less time to call or see you. However, I know that needs to change.

When I was little, I loved going to your house to spending the day with you and Grandpa. I always looked forward to days of baking cookies, getting dinner wherever I wanted, and eating cookies for breakfast. (I always kept a secret from my mom and dad).

Though as soon as Grandpa passed away two years ago, everything seemed to change.

What used to be my home away from home grew uncomfortable and quiet. Grandpa was always the talker, so your once-vibrant home sat enveloped in an awkward silence. I didn’t know how to help you, let alone help myself. We sat still, each grieving in our own ways.

You’ve taught me so much over the years through Grandpa. When getting ready for Christmas together, you both showed me how to work together as a team. When working in the garden, you both showed me how hard work pays off and has beautiful results. Being married for over fifty years showed me how to love, and never let that special someone go.

But now I know I can learn just as much from you alone. Through losing Grandpa, you taught me how to cope with loss. Through moving on and establishing your own daily routine, you taught me how to be independent when you’re on your own. Through your stubborn temper, you have shown me to fight for what I believe in.

These lessons have helped me more than you know, especially while in college. And they make me feel more connected to you than ever. Our sleepovers have been a bit different lately, but they’ve grown to be just as fun. The silence, now comfortable, with each of us engaged in something to keep busy.

After reflecting on all I’ve learned from you, I now know that keeping in touch with you is as important as ever. I may be stressed out with my own life, but taking the time for a quick phone call can improve both of our days.

I love you Grandma, and can’t wait to see you soon. I’m glad we have a special bond unlike anyone else.