An Open Letter To My Dad

An Open Letter To My Dad

You held my hand when I was little, but you'll hold my heart forever.
68

Moms get credit for all their hard work every once in a while, but dads get the credit even less. A dad is a son's first hero and a daughter's first love. So, this one is for you, dad.

Thank you for working so hard.

I am so grateful for someone who works countless hours to go above and beyond what is needed to make sure everyone is taken care of. Not only do you make sure we have everything we need, but you make sure everyone in your life is satisfied. I know that you (probably) would have come to all my softball games if you could have, but I also understand that I am not the only person in your world. I am thankful for someone to have taught me not only what hard work looks like, but how to be humble when hard work pays off. I am thankful that you work overtime to make sure I can get the new pair of tennis shoes I want, and do so knowing you might not get the gratitude you deserve.

I remember the things you taught me.

I remember you teaching me how to load a wrecker, drive a four-wheeler (safely), and even (kind of) how to fix a flat tire. But the most important lessons that I have learned from you are ones that don't exactly require step by step instructions. You taught me that I should always strive for success. You don't just do enough to get by, but you make sure that everything is done correctly- because if you do it right the first time, you won't have to do it again. You taught me that some time it is best to just keep your mouth shut (still working on that one.) You taught me what to look for in a man. Seeing how you treat mom is exactly how I want my husband to treat me one day: with respect, tenderness, and patience. I remember you teaching me that I am worthy of great things, however, I am by no means perfect. You taught me that sometimes you can work your butt off for something and still not get it because life isn't fair sometimes.

I will always be your little girl.

I know it's hard to believe since I cringe every time you try and hug me, but I will always be a "daddy's girl" and your baby girl no matter what mom says. Mom could play with me all day long but when dad got home from work, mom was yesterday's news. I could not be more proud of a great dad like you, and I will cherish everything you have taught me over the years. You have shown me to be humble enough to know I am no better than anyone else but wise enough to know that I am different from everyone else. I may get married one day and you might think he's my new prince, but to me, you're always going to be my king.

Thank you for always being there.

"Where should I get my oil changed?" "Can I have some money?" "Are you with mom, she won't answer my calls." "He broke my heart." "Do I need to use a nail or a screw to hang this picture?" Every time I call, you answer. Every time I need something, you'll take care of it. Thank you for not giving up on me when I am being a crappy kid. Thank you for praying for me constantly since the day I was born. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for loving me unconditionally like good dads do. Thank you for being a man that I am proud to call my dad because not everyone gets to say that. Thank you for being the first boy I have ever loved, and my go to for life- no matter what.

I love you.

I don't say it enough, but I love you, dad. I love the way that you love my mom. I love how you've helped raise my brothers to be men that I also adore. I love the way that you are a good person, even when nobody is looking. I love you for sitting through all the dance recitals, even though there was work to be done elsewhere. I love you for believing in me when nobody else did and reminding me that I can do anything. I love you for having faith in me, even if I fail.

Thanks a million dad, you really are the best.

Love, Your baby girl!