To My Future Husband

To My Future Husband

Letters to the man that captures my heart.

56
To My Future Husband
Josh Bird

At the age of 18, I began writing letters to the man I would end up marrying. In high school the prospect of marriage seems far away and almost like a fairy-tale. Yet, we are in charge of our future. If for any moment you feel trapped with your single status or lost in your relationship; consider writing letters to the man that may hold your heart in the years to come.

Being single was never easy. It had its moments of self- doubt and loneliness. Yet, it also forced me to do something about myself. It made me grow in confidence, ask myself what I stood for, and question the world around me. So I began to write. It challenged me to form an opinion on what type of man I wanted to spend my life with. It provided me with standards and expectations. Pursuing a relationship would mean that I would see him as being worthy of knowing my deepest thoughts and desires throughout a progression of time.

Instead of blindly moving forward; I had a vision for my future. I began with choosing a theme for each letter. Writing with a purpose allowed me to find my ground. Reflecting on what I defined as a father- outlined qualities to look for in a partner. Knowing yourself is important when pursuing a relationship.

My letters are untouched and will remain so until the day I wed the man I loved the moment I picked up my pen and started writing.

To my future husband,

I continue to make choices that I would not regret telling you. Knowing that you are out there has held me accountable for my actions. For those mistakes that I have made- forgive me. Just as I will love you for all the wrongs you may have done. I strive to be grounded in our uprooted world- for you. Hold me to it. Do not allow years to pass without demanding the best from me. After all, I will expect the best and nothing less from you. I pray that my future self will reflect morals and high standards- only time will tell. As we read this letter together sometime in the future my wish for us is that we live an honest life and prosper in unconditional love.

Patiently Waiting,

Clare