An Open Letter To My Big

An Open Letter To My Big

One Great Big Thank You Letter

345
An Open Letter To My Big
Alice Chen

To my Big,

Becoming a part of a sorority is great in a lot of ways, especially meeting so many new, lifelong friends. When I met you during the first day of recruitment I knew right away we were going to be friends. I was so afraid to go through sorority recruitment because I knew it's basically a big judgment-fest and I didn't know anyone because I had just transferred.

I knew it would be good for me because since I was a transfer student, I would be able to meet so many new people. When I walked into the Phi Mu house that day, I wasn't sure what to think. I was still so nervous about having to talk to people since it was my first house. I got to talk to you and you told me all of the wonderful things about Phi Mu. I was sure I'd found my home when I was paired with you again on the final preference night. You were so easy to talk to and I was so extremely excited when I found out you were my big. Ever since it's been a match made in heaven.

I definitely don’t want to think about what my life at High Point is going to be like without you here after you graduate, it will be so sad. Before you go off and start your adult life, I want to say a great big thank you. Thank you for taking me under your wing and telling me all about what the Phi Mu sorority life was like because I was definitely clueless.

Thank you for showing me the absolute best times of my life, you really know how to have a fun time. Thank you for listening to me and helping me with anything I needed, I know you’ll always have my back in anything, even though you have a million things on your plate. Thank you for our Freddy’s, Shinko, and endless Liberty dates, I think you’re the first person I’ve met who loves food as much as I do.

Thank you for the always taking me places and inviting me out, without that, I would not have made so many other friends and had such great times. Lastly, thank you for being you. You’re hilarious, amazingly fun, and a truly honest person that I respect so much. You've been the absolute best big I could have ever asked for and I hope I'm able to be the big to my little that you've been to me.

Even though I’m still 150% in denial that you’re doing the “g-word" so soon, I will never ever be able to thank you enough for all the things you’ve done for me by just being you. As you move on to your new adult life and next chapter, please please don’t forget about me!

I can’t wait to see all of the amazing and wonderful things you accomplish in the big kid world and say, "Hey! That's my big!" I’m so proud of you and hope that I have been half the friend to you that you have been to me. I love you always!