A Letter To Those Worrying

A Letter To Those Worrying

“You won’t be for everyone but you are for someone and that’s the beginning of everything.”

8
A Letter To Those Worrying
Ruben Valdez Designs

When I was in high school I always got SO MAD when I would read a blog about waiting for that special someone to come along because everyone that basically wrote one HAD that special someone in their life already, so I remained very discouraged the more I read. But now that I have that person in my life, my best friend, I get it. The reason people can speak life into the season of singleness is because they’ve been there, they’ve waited and then they’ve seen the promise begin to unfold. I know I have. I’m writing to anyone worrying because, well, I was there. Big time. I was stuck living in worry over who God would bring my way. I turned worry into a lifestyle. Not only was I stuck worrying over when prince charming would come my way but I was stuck DEEP down in bitterness towards other people’s love. I was the president of the forever-alone club. I openly hated Valentine’s Day because every teddy bear I saw I wanted to stomp on and every balloon I saw I wanted to pop, and I loveeee balloons… that’s how much I hated seeing others so happy and in love when I couldn’t have the same thing. When we’re so focused on what we don’t have, we can’t celebrate those around us that are living in the beauty of unity.

I know that waiting on God to bring you the love of another person seems so difficult, but before you worry about finding the love of a person, focus on the fact that the love of your Savior has already found you. For so long I thought something was wrong with me. I got wrapped up in the idea that I had nothing to offer and I got so caught up in the lie that I just wasn’t good enough for anyone and that lead to my heart constantly being overwhelmed with sadness. I was so busy just wishing I could catch the attention of many that I didn’t realize that I already HAD the attention of One. The most important thing to know, especially in this season of your life, is that you are so loved by your Creator. In his eyes you are precious, beautiful, worthy, loved, and adored. I thought I had it all figured out. I thought I was ready and I thought I could handle a relationship but little did I know that if I had gotten what I wanted exactly when I wanted it, I probably would have lost it. Thank God He knows the blessings that he has for us so we can wholeheartedly trust him with the timing. If it weren’t for the protection that is placed in waiting, nine times out of ten we would probably sabotage the blessings that we have desired to come our way for so long. That’s why I can so happily say, thank you JESUS for my waiting period. If I had to go back and do it all over again, I’d go through any kind pain or rejection and I would rather wait than sabotage my own heart’s desires.

Use this season of your life to become all God has created YOU to be so that whenever that person does come along, you are already happy, healthy, and fully content in your identity in Jesus. Whatever you may be waiting on, wait well. It’s such a draining process whenever you do it with bitterness in your heart, especially if that bitterness is directed towards God. Whenever we are going through a waiting season, God is just being a good Father to us. Allow your perspective to change to viewing waiting as protection from the Lord. I could laugh and cry all at the same time when I sit back and think about God allowing me to wait. I’m in absolute awe of His faithfulness. He knew that with every tear I shed, in the future, there would be a million more smiles. Even rejection was necessary. If it weren’t for the rejection of some then, I wouldn’t have the sweetest, most hard working, loving, gentle man on planet earth, today. There is hope found in waiting. There is beauty! Let your faith be strengthened today. There is nothing wrong with wanting a relationship, nothing at all! In fact, I encourage you, if you are in the season of waiting, write down EXACTLY what you want in someone. Be very specific when it comes to what you desire. Write it down and then pray over that list every single day. I did that and not only did it create a habit of me going to God with what my heart wanted, it caused my heart to feel so much peace and trust in God with who I wanted to come along side of me one day. The more I prayed, the more peace I felt. And now I can look at him and see all that I prayed for and MORE. I got to take part of my own miracle.

Love is amazing and it is a dream come true, but know this, no human being will ever satisfy your soul the way Jesus does. People will let you down, even the person you’re in a relationship with (and you will let them down) because you are imperfect people living in a fallen world. Relationships are messy because you have two people who both bring something destructive to the table: sin. So that person will never fulfill what your messy heart longs for because fulfillment for our souls can only be found in Jesus.

The only piece of advice I will give is do not date just to date or settle for less than you KNOW you deserve. If you do not see the POSSIBILITY of marriage, save yourself from unnecessary heartache. There were times where I wanted the process to speed up or I even just wanted to settle for what was in front of me because I genuinely just wanted the approval and affirmation of another human being. There were a lot of no’s from God and at the time I thought that was a sign of God’s punishment. But no’s or not right now’s are always a sign of God’s love.

Relationships are a lot more important than we give them credit for. God did not create relationships or even marriage JUST for happiness, he created them for unity. He created relationships to be a strong bond that bring unity when it comes to building the kingdom. Of course in a relationship of any kind, happiness should be present. Joy should be in your relationships! But God created relationships to be a stronger way of building his kingdom, not just to make you smile.

Ecclesiastes 4:12: “A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-backand conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.”

Relationships were created for greatness. Relationships were created to BUILD and they were created to stand strong and conquer. In this world, the body of Christ is fighting sin and darkness. Evil is a real power that we are fighting day in and day out. When God is at the center of a relationship, it begins being used for His glory. Wait for a relationship that builds God’s kingdom. Wait for a relationship that points others to Jesus.

There came a time in my waiting period, where it finally hit me. I trusted the Lord to satisfy my heart and knew that when I trusted my life in his hands, he would gladly give me the desires of my heart. God doesn’t want to keep the love of another person out of our lives, he created us for unity. He created us to fight for unity and love. There’s just a very specific time in our lives for that kind of blessing to come along.

Ruben and I have only been dating for 3 months now so by NO means is this a relationship advice blog. I’m human, he’s human and we are both imperfect people who are just growing up together, figuring life out, and we don’t have it all together, at all. But one thing we will both tell you is that we are both SO STINKIN’ thankful for the pain, rejection, tears and waiting that led up to today. God has given me such an amazing gift by Ruben’s life. I have someone who I love as a PERSON so genuinely. I love his heart and his story and he makes me fall more in love with God every single day. I promise, when the wait is over, God will BLOW YOU AWAY.

Our only advice is that if you’re waiting, wait well. And that’s for ANYTHING that you’re waiting for; it doesn’t just have to be for a relationship. There’s so much that God asks us to wait for because we always try and rush prayers and blessings but God is more concerned with us actually being able to handle life whenever we get the things we so desperately ask for. He’s more concerned with the condition and preparation of our hearts.

The only reason I can so confidently tell you not to worry is because I know how faithful God is. He’s been faithful to me and he will be faithful to you. Don’t make your future relationship your number one focus in life, keep your eyes and heart on Jesus, but while you are waiting, wait well. My reward of waiting? I grew so much closer to God and I got my best friend. I’d say the wait was pretty worth it. Don’t lose hope and don’t grow weary, God knows exactly what He is doing and one day you will be able to look back and be so grateful for all of the rejection, pain, tears and waiting.