A Letter To The Woman Who Brought My Kitten To The Shelter

Who rescued who?

13
Allison Church

I'm sure when you dropped "Suzy" off your heart was breaking. Her deep brown eyes are so easy to fall in love with and the love that she radiates is captivating. They didn't tell me much about you, but I know that your heart is so big. I want you to know that my family will be forever grateful to you because Callie, as we have now named her, has filled an emptiness we didn't even know we had.

We went for our first visit with her on Sunday after she had only spent two nights in the shelter. She was playful but was also sleepy and wanted to cuddle. I held and her and she smiled for a selfie; at this moment my teenage self knew that we had to take her home.

Callie's first selfie with her new mom!

My sister is moving out this week and taking one of her sweet cats, Camden, with her. Phineas, Callie's older Maincoon brother, is staying at home with my parents and I and we decided he would be lonely without a friend. We were scheduled to adopt her the next morning, and we did.

Callie and my mom, Lisa, on adoption day!

Walking through the shelter was absolutely devastating but taking one home definitely, eases the ache. There are so many cats that need to be adopted and it feels as if taking just one home doesn't even put a dent in the problem. Your compassion was shown not only by fostering her but when you sponsored all of the kittens in her litter. For those of you who don't know how sponsorship in a shelter works, an amount of money is placed down on an animal making he or she free to a good home. Because of you sponsoring her, we were able to sponsor and adult cat and pay your kindness forward.

We sponsored a full grown cat named Sonny. We'd already fallen in love with Callie but if we could have taken another one home, it would have been her. She is on seizure medication twice a day and we thought that sponsoring her would help her have fewer nights in the shelter. She is pictured below.

Because of a respiratory infection that almost 99% of cats leave the shelter with, Callie hasn't met her brother yet but I'm sure they will become close friends. Her favorite toy is a stuffed fish on a string and her favorite place is sleep is wherever I am.

Callie loves being loved and it's evident that she knows we are her "furrever" home.

For me, I'm writing this letter because I'm sure that you feel a similar kind of love for Callie that I do. I am sure that you have wondered about her and what kind of family that she would grow up with. I can brag and say that my family is pretty great and that pets always come first in our home. She will have lots of toys, lots of food, and lots of love.

Thank you for loving animals as much as I do and for taking care of my sweet baby before I knew she existed.