A Letter To The Little Brother Who Grew Up Too Fast

From the big sister who will probably miss you a little too much

577

Dear Not-So-Little Brother,

I haven’t been home in a while, and I’m getting a little sad about it. I could blame it on the home cooked meals, clean showers or a room I don’t have to share with two other people, but I’d be lying to myself. The truth is that I’m missing you a little more this time around. You’re about to leave the nest, and I’m really not OK with it. Sure, I might have flown pretty far away from the nest a couple of years ago, but you’re my little brother and it’s supposed to stay that way forever.

Since I left for my Freshman year, you somehow grew two feet taller than me. Now I have to stand on a chair if I want to feel like I’m the old one. Next Fall you’ll be a Freshman at UT, and I can honestly say I shed a little tear when I found out I’ll finally be able to live out my life-long dream of tailgating with Longhorns. Which reminds me, can I crash at your place when I come visit for ACL? You’ve been driving for a while now, which I don’t mind. The excitement of having a license has worn off and it’s nice having someone who will drive you to get Whataburger at midnight when you really need an average-tasting milkshake. You also have pretty great taste in music now that we’re not listening to The Wiggles. I shamelessly play your soundcloud when I’m in the car with friends and I brag about what a cool younger brother I have. If I dropped a mixtape tomorrow, you’re the only family member I’d want to share it on social media.

Before things get real, I’d like to take a moment to ask everyone to bow their head in memory of a few things you’ve probably forgotten. We almost never got along when we were little. I mean really, we probably fought in our sleep. Mom and Dad had to separate our car seats on road trips because otherwise we got into physical arguments like tiny WWE fighters strapped beneath seat belts. I know that I’m your boring old sister now, but you used to actually want to hang out with me. Remember ‘HORSE’?

We played for hours in the little homemade basketball court we made in the driveway of our old house. That was great and all, but just because you wanted to chill 24/7 doesn’t mean you ever actually listened to me. When I told you not to swallow that metal ball, I bet you’d really wished you had listened to me three hours later in the emergency room. If you don’t remember, that’s OK. All of these things happened about 200 years ago when you were shorter than me.

Having been through nearly two years of college, I wish I could say I have some wonderful, earth-shattering advice for you before you get there. That is not the case. I have a few pointers, but otherwise you should probably never take advice from someone who’s pulled two all-nighters in the past week. These people are hugely unreliable. What I will say is that you have an incredible four years ahead of you, so don’t get caught up in things that won’t matter when they’re over. You’ll make new friends, and then some of them will probably vanish out of thin air. Those are not people worth wasting your time on. The people who pick you up at 4 a.m. and take you to Taco Bell are the ones who’ll make wasted time not so wasteful after all. Speaking of friends, Mom and Dad will end up being two of the best ones you ever have in college. Don’t be afraid to ask them things. As much as I’m sure you’ll hate to admit it, they aren’t as wrong as we once thought they were. Also, don’t forget to call me. I may not be the person you want to talk to all the time, but I have a few things to say about a few things you’ll eventually have to deal with.

If you haven’t been paying attention to a single thing I’ve said so far, now is the time to do so. Listen very closely, because this is some pretty great stuff. Also, I’m starting to tear up a bit, so I probably won’t say it again. I am your big sister and I will always be your big sister. There is nothing in this world I wouldn’t do for a little brother like the one I’ve been so lucky to have for the past 18 years. If college has taught me anything, it’s to appreciate the people who have loved you when you’re totally unlovable because they had no other choice. I will be there for you for the rest of your life. No, that’s not a threat, it’s a promise. Sure, there was that one time I hit you with a water gun when I was five, but we put that past us. It was payback for the thousands of sports games, matches, duels and whatever else you call the things I had to sit through while you tested out every sport known to man. Let’s face it, if you went through another athletic metamorphosis today, I’d probably still be on the sidelines cheering for you. That’s because I love you, and whether you like to admit it or not, you might love me a little bit too. Just remember that while it might be fun, you’ll need to come back to the nest every once in awhile because your big sister misses you.

With love,

Your Big Sister