An Open Letter To The Independent Girls

An Open Letter To The Independent Girls

"My alone feels so good, I'll only have you if you're sweeter than my solitude."

245
An Open Letter To The Independent Girls
Barkpost

You know who you are.

You drown yourself with responsibilities to keep your head above water.

You drown yourself in school work, in your job, or whatever hobby you do.

You can go out to eat by yourself, and those awkward stares you get don't quite bother you like they used to.

It's amazing to feel so free and independent. It feels so good not relying on anyone for your happiness or even your sadness.

It's a habit to be alone, you grow accustomed to it. And the best thing is you know how to be alone, and you know how to be happy alone. I used to be so afraid to be alone, to die alone, to never be able to grow old with someone; the thought of that terrified me. But now, that thought doesn't scare me, it almost intrigues me.

Us independent girls are a rare breed, but I believe anyone is capable of it.

It's so much easier to just be by yourself. You don't have to worry about someone, you don't have to wonder if they feel the same way about you, it takes a lot of stress out of your life.

We've all been hurt by that one person that made us this way. That one person who we still cringe a little when we hear their name. That one person who we lost sleep over, skipped meals for. That one person who made us feel as if the world was ending. That one person who chewed our heart up and spit it on the ground, leaving it there for us to pick up all on our own. But, you know what? I couldn't be more thankful for the pain I endured because I taught myself that I love being happy and free on my own. I love not relying on someone to control my emotions. I love not having to answer to anyone, or when I want to stay in on a Friday night and binge watch Netflix by myself it's not a crime.

That one person who breaks our heart and teaches us how to be alone teaches us much more than that. They teach us what we do and don't want in a relationship, or in a partner. They help us see what is right and what is wrong in a relationship.

No matter if we want to admit it or not, we owe a lot to our first heartbreak and the person who breaks it. They're one of our greatest teachers in life. At the time I didn't realize that all the pain and hard lessons I was learning would make me into the woman I am today. It helped me find self-worth and really grow as a person. It also helped strengthen my emotions beyond belief. I used to be so sensitive, but now the little things don't sting- I just brush them right off my shoulder.

Warson Shire says it best, "My alone feels so good, I'll only have you if you're sweeter than my solitude."

Sure, I'd love to have someone to adventure with, experience life with, and grow old with; but I'd be just as happy jumping through the obstacles of life alone too because that's just how us independent girls are.