A Letter to the Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher

Words I hope to convey to this extraordinary woman

142
NPR

To those who do not know the Australian television drama series Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, let me start by saying that you are missing out on one of the best dramas that have been made in the past 10 years or so. The drama has all the elements of a suspenseful, addictive show: every episode Miss Phryne Fisher, the protagonist, solves a mystery along with her trusted companion Dot and her ever reliable “assistants” Bert and Cec. Miss Fisher, unlike other detectives, however, does so donning the most fashionable and breathtaking outfits of the Roaring 20s and accessorizing with the unique pieces that give her outfits an extra dose of magic!

But, looks and fashion are not the only things Miss Fisher has to show for. Miss Fisher is what I call a trailblazer: an individual who chooses to stand for the values she so dearly loves despite what society thinks. Miss Fisher is not one to let society or a man dictate her own life.

In light of current events such as the lewd comments US Presidential candidate Donald Trump has been caught making, it is important for girls to have a positive role model, to know that they should not let society or men bring them down. Miss Fisher is the very embodiment of a liberated, successful woman who refuses to settle down and to me, that is so empowering. Showcasing a female protagonist, especially one in the 1920s, making her own decisions and standing firmly by them is the complete antithesis of the kind of woman Mr. Trump has depicted. Mr. Trump has been caught several times degrading women, calling them "gold diggers", "a beautiful piece of a$#" and poking fun at their physical appearances. His advertisement featuring his daughter Ivanka Trump stating that "being a mother is the most important job a woman can have" makes the assumption that all women want to someday settle down and have children- a generalization that does not hold true. Just as Miss Fisher has shown, women have every right to choose whether they want to settle down or not and should not be condemned for not doing so. They should be allowed to make their own decisions freely and be respected for them.

And because of her bravery, astuteness, independence, and headstrong nature, she has become a role model of mine, which is why I am penning this letter expressing my gratitude towards her:

Dear Miss Fisher,

My name is Serena Uy, a student and great admirer of you and your work.

Growing up, I was not the most outspoken, headstrong individual. Society played a huge role in shaping my opinions, leaving me with little to no voice to get around. My schoolmates shaped the way I viewed myself and led me to believe I did not deserve to chase after my dreams. I spent a part of my life obsessing over what others thought of me, not because my loved ones said so, but because... I did. Though I eventually became stronger, more assertive, there were times when I would still revert to my old ways,

But, I met you. I saw how quick you were to adapting to challenges, curveballs that crossed your way all the while maintaining your elegance, steadfastness, and commitment to women's rights. Your belief that women should be allowed to choose her path, given equal rights and opportunities as men is very powerful, especially given the situations you deal with. Your calm, effective responses to the different mysteries you solve show that you are not one to let your emotions get the best of you. You are also not one to rely on a man for support and are determined to succeed through your own capabilities.

Above all, you are not one to spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about what society thinks of you. You do not value the opinion of individuals that do not matter to you and want to tear you down neither do you apologize to people "offended" by the way you choose to live your life. Instead, you listen to the words of those that know you best and care for you and respect their advice.

As such, I hope to be like you someday: a strong woman who is very aware of the challenges that continue to plague society and does her best to solve these in her own way. To you, that may be sporting the most glamorous clothes and toting around a gold plated pistol whilst helping others fight for justice. To me, that may be doing my very best to help my family, friends, community and work towards my goal all the while maintaining the values I hold dearest to my heart.

So Miss Fisher, thank you for showing me that it is possible for women to have it all- to chase after her dreams without having to ask for anyone's permission to do so and to remain true to one's cause, morals, and convictions.

I cannot wait to see more from you.

- Serena Uy