To Every 'Hannah Baker' That Is Still Alive

If you're reading this, you probably are aware of who Hannah Baker is, and have watched at least parts of the series "13 Reasons Why."

1288
Natalie Esarey

To whom this may concern,

You clicked on this article for a reason. And that reason alone brings me to two powerful feelings, it brings me great sadness, but also great hope. I feel overwhelming sadness to know that you are struggling to this degree, or to any degree at all really. Because you deserve happiness, you deserve love, and most importantly you desire life. On the other hand, I am filled with hope that you clicked on this article.

See Also: I Was Once A Hannah Baker, And '13 Reasons Why' Is Not The Whole Truth

Want to know why?

Because it means deep inside of you, there is a part of you, even if you can't see it.... that wants to still be here. That part of you that is still fighting. That little whisper of hope that tells you life beyond your demons is real. And you believe in life. Not just any life, but a life that you truly feel is worth living.

Now you may feel too far gone, and reading this article just feels like a time passer until you eventually give up, end it all. But I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. It is not coincidence that you are finding yourself reading this. And it is no coincidence that you are still alive.

I won't say I understand what you're going through. Because I don't, and quite frankly no one does. But what I will say is that I have believed with my whole heart at one time, that I was so far gone. I tried every pain reliever in the book. From an eating disorder to binge drinking to cutting to drug abuse... and eventually to attempting suicide. Many, many times.

SEE ALSO: 13 Reasons Why This Show Is Dangerous

If you're reading this, you probably are aware of who Hannah Baker is, and have watched at least parts of the series "13 Reasons Why." I myself, read the book as a freshman in high school, and despite my better judgment watched the entire series as well.

It's taken me a while to decide how to respond to this series. Yes, it's raw and real and relevant. Yes, it brings awareness and perhaps a wake-up call to many. However, it also can be a huge trigger. More specifically, to those already struggling with thoughts of suicide, or anything related to the series. This concerns me, but at the same time, we can't avoid our triggers forever, they are everywhere. My problem with this series is this: where is the hope?

Yes. It sends an important message. But it fails to send the most important message of all.

Hope is real. Help is real. And life beyond this pain you're feeling is real.

And so, I'm here to tell you that "13 Reasons Why" isn't the way your life has to go, as well.

Bad things happen. REALLY bad things. But these events are never worth taking our life over. The deepest and greatest pain you feel is not worth taking your life over.

Suicide does not end the pain, it translates it to those around you. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I know, I know... it doesn't feel temporary, but it is.

The storm won't last forever my friends.

If you find yourself walking through hell, the only way out of the suffering is to keep on walking until you find the light again.

The light of hope and life may be so dim at times, but it is eternal, it will never go out. Focus your eyes on the light. You don't have to have a plan all figured out to get through the suffering. You just simply have to use the light to take one step at a time. One single step, and then another, and another, until before you know it... that light is right in front of you.

And oh, gosh, when you finally reach it, it is the most beautiful thing in this world.

Hear me out, you are NEVER, I repeat NEVER, too far gone.

And you are also, never alone.

No matter how isolated and obsolete you feel, there is someone out there who cares. There is someone out there who wants to help. There is someone out there who loves you more than you can even imagine.

I love you.

Weird right?

I don't even know you.

But without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, I can wholeheartedly tell you that I love you. And I'm proud of you. And you'll get through this.

The best part is, you don't have to go through this alone. We will get through the labyrinth of suffering together, and we will reach the other side — TOGETHER.

You need people. And people need you. You'll need people to be there for you and someday you'll need to be that someone person for someone else.

But the need that is needed the most is this; this world needs YOU.

The world needs the gifts that only YOU can bring.

Hold on, don't let go.

Here is the link to the national suicide prevention website:

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Here is their number:

1-800-273-8255

You can call at any time and you can also chat online with someone at any time.

I'll leave you with this, if you keep hope alive, it will keep you alive. And we need you to live. I believe in you. I'm proud of you. And I am right beside you, walking this journey with you. Never be afraid to reach out for help. And please, if you know anyone this could help, share. Let's save lives, my friends, starting with yours.