A Letter To The Girl Going Through A Break Up

You will get through this and find love again.

1095
Huffington Post

At one point in your life, you have experienced a painful break-up. It's going to feel like the end of the world and it's going to feel like you will never find love again. Let me tell you something right here and right now: you will find love again. Just because things may not have worked out this last time doesn't mean you won't find someone again. Sometimes it might not feel like you will find someone to be that close with again, but you will.

I just recently went through a rough break up. I was dating someone for over three years, and the beginning was like a fairytale; I thought he was going to be the guy I married. For years when I would look into my future, I saw him with me at each milestone: college graduation, getting my first job, getting my first apartment, etc. The hardest part about this is now seeing an empty place in my future.

As we started drifting apart and getting into more and more fights, I knew the end was coming. We tried patching things up but there was no effort coming from the other side. In my heart, I knew that if he wanted to be with me, he would be fighting like no other to get me back. The lack of effort was what pushed me to want to move on and get over it. I was suddenly seeing that we weren't in a fairytale relationship anymore.

I then started thinking about how I am in the best years of my life. I am in college discovering who I am, meeting new people, and just trying to have fun. I realized that I shouldn't let a boy, who didn't want to put the effort into our relationship anymore, distract me from taking risks and seizing every opportunity that was offered to me.

I shouldn't spend my days crying over a relationship that just wasn't the same as it used to be and couldn't be fixed. I knew that I didn't want to look back on my years in college and remember countless nights spent crying in my dorm instead of going out and having fun with my friends.

It's not that I don't appreciate the memories we had because I do. When times were good, he was my best friend and the person I shared everything with. He is the person who taught me how to love and that I can be loved deeply by someone. I will never look back and regret the time we had together because it has shaped me into the woman I am today.

I will always look back on the good times with fond memories, knowing that we really did love each other at one point. I think I will sometimes miss what we had but I know I will find it again someday when the right person stumbles into my life. And this time I will know it will be for good.