A Letter To The Friends I Left Back Home

No matter how much time passes by, you'll always be my home.

24
Stephanie Garcia

Dear Friends,

Let me first start off by saying how much I miss you.

I'm sorry I haven't been in contact as much as I should be but please know that no matter how long we go without talking to each other, I always find myself coming back to the thought of you guys and how much I look forward to our reunion. As always, I'm wishing you the best and it makes me so happy to see the photos you post about all the things you've accomplished and everything happening in your lives.

At the same time, these are moments where I wish I could physically just be there to congratulate you but nevertheless, I'm happy I can keep up with you guys even if it's just behind a screen. I'm trying harder to call, FaceTime, Snapchat, and text more often because I feel like I've been doing such a poor job of showing you guys how much I actually care about what's going on with you.

The fact is that even now, I still can't fathom the thought of not being able to go home and see you guys, because I will always need you.

Now that I think about it, it's still kind of hard to believe that only two years ago I couldn't even cope with the idea of leaving you and now we're all in different places, doing our own thing alongside new people we now consider the friends we can't live without. Even though I adore my friends here at college, it's comforting to know that you guys will always be my home. You've basically helped me become the person I am today and whenever I'm around you guys, everything feels simple again.

Even though college has changed me in some ways, it's been for the better. Regardless, I will always be the same person you knew at heart. Let's face it, I have you guys to thank for nurturing me - guiding me through tough situations - that's not something to be taken lightly. In the end, you guys have always been my biggest supporters.

I am so grateful to have had your encouragement and reassurance while we were together. Without it, I don't think I could've ever fully learned to believe in myself and my capabilities. I still struggle doing that now, but sometimes, I look back at my old yearbooks and remember even if I feel alone here, there are still those few back in Little Elm who have always seen something special in me. Leaving home knowing this really set me up with the goal to become more independent, continue to believe in myself, and most of all, make you guys proud.

During my time here at a college, there have been so many moments that have made me question my identity and my actions, to where I was so scared to embrace my own individual voice and opinions. I've had to face the fact that I don't portray myself as the quiet and soft spoken person I used to be; and often at times, I've been afraid that being too outspoken will distance me from you guys when I go back.

I hope that the next time we're together, you guys will see that I'm still me. No matter what, I will always be grateful for you guys and if you ever need me, know that you can always reach out to me.

Your friend, Stephanie.