A Letter To The Family Who Bought My Grandparents' House

Your new home means so much to me.
337

Dear New Homeowners,

I honestly never thought I would see this day. I never thought that someone other than my grandparents or my family members would be living in that house. I want to tell you about them. I want to tell you about the house that you now call your own.

My grandparents were two of the best people in the world. They would do anything for anyone in a heartbeat. Losing them was very difficult on our family and their friends. They were the most giving people I have ever met.

Over the years, I watched their health deteriorate. I watched them struggle to take care of each other. I watched my mom take care of my grandma every day because her health got significantly worse after my grandpa left this world. I watched my mom and aunts and uncles go through everything when my grandma died. I saw how hard it was, especially on my mom. All of the memories came flashing back.

Your new home means so much to me. The memories I have there are countless. I took my first steps in the family room. My grandma taught me how to sew in the dining room. I played games with both my grandma and grandpa. I had countless sleepovers with my sister and cousins there. We dressed up in my mom’s old prom dresses. I can’t tell you how many hours I sat on the deck with Grandma and Grandpa, waving at honking cars going by and how many meals we had out there together.

I hope your new house is as good for you as it was for my family. I hope you have kids who play in the front yard. I hope you can have family get-togethers there like we always did. I hope you make amazing memories with your family.

It’s going to be so hard for me to drive by your new home and see a new car in the driveway. I’m sure it will be easier over time. I hope you don’t mind if when I drive by, I honk to say hello. Please know that my grandparents will always be watching over you and smiling down. They will be so thrilled that their house is a new home to a family.

Love,

The Granddaughter of the Old Homeowners