I will never forget the day that I, an uncomfortable and youthful 11-year-old, turned to my older sister and proudly proclaimed, “You are my best friend.” After a day spent with her chatting about friends and the daily torment of being 11- and 14-year-old girls, it felt only fitting to voice what I was sure was a mutual feeling.
My sister vigorously avoided eye contact and responded, “I mean. I have a real best friend.”
For about 10 minutes my heart was shattered and my life was obviously over. Likely, I set a silent-treatment record and didn’t speak to her for a solid hour despite our shared living quarters. I am sure my mother eventually stepped in and explained to me the circumstances of little and big siblings, clarifying that although I may not be her “best friend,” I am “much more than that...” la la la. I was peeved. But eight years later, I can bet she would give me the same response. And if my little brother ever tried to call me his best friend, I would probably cringe and call him gross. Having said that, they always have been and still are two of the most important people in my life.
There is something to be said about a sibling, whether they are older or younger, a brother or a sister or a twin; they will always be there. When my sister spiked a volleyball into my eye and I was half blinded for three days, I was still there for her. When my brother decided to dangle my mini guitar in front of my face and promptly cut off all of the strings, right down the middle, we were back to laughing within an hour. The bond you form with your siblings is one that never goes away, because it naturally cannot. They’re the ones who watched us throw our rowdiest tantrums and look our absolute worst in the mornings. They’re the only ones who are under oath to agree with you when you whine about your parents and weird family get-togethers and most awkward moments.
My brother and sister are probably the only two people who I would give a limb for. Obviously, after that I would devote the rest of my life to making them buy me coffee and snacks and paying for gas in return for the favor. But hey. That’s what siblings are for…
National Siblings Day may be a month away, (although it seems to be acknowledged about once a week) but in my first year living in a different state than both of mine, sometimes the family or sibling group chat doesn’t quite do the trick. Even though you guys are the worst, like, 80 percent of the time, thank you for being the best the other 20 percent.
When it comes to your siblings, it balances out just fine.