A Letter To My Past Self

An Open Letter To The Person I Was Five Years Ago

Here's to the person I once was, and to the person I now am.

67
Jeremy Elvas

Dear Jeremy,

The last five years have been a wild ride for us. I know you're still in eighth grade, and you don't really know much about who you are yet, but be patient - you'll learn. I know you're starting to struggle with your mental health right now, and it's going to worsen in the next two years, but you will persevere and mature through that entire experience.

We are in our second semester of our freshman year of college right now. Spoiler: you'll be going to Temple University. You're going to do great things in your future.

I won't tell you what you'll be studying, but you'll find out during your junior year of high school. And when that happens, it will open a world of possibilities and opportunities for you, so take full advantage of it.

High school will be an interesting experience for you. You're going to learn a lot about yourself, and there will be many times where you will struggle, and feel out of place, and unsure about everything in your life, but you do make it out and graduate. Be grateful for both the friends you make and the friends you lose.

Your current best friends? I have to let you know that they're not good for you, and it's going to be difficult to let them go, but eventually, you will have to. It won't be a sad ending - you'll reconnect and make peace with them after time passes.

The other friends you have now - only a few of them you'll remain close with by the start of college. But, you're going to make a lot of new ones, and your circles of friends in college will be completely different from the ones you were in during high school.

I remember that you're starting to become confused about your sexuality, but let me save you the pain and confusion and tell you now: you're gay. You're not bisexual, or anything else, you're gay. And you'll learn how to accept it as a part of your identity, with time.

You're going to come out to everyone early on, except your family. I came out to them back in October of last year, and they're okay with it. Don't be afraid of coming out to them when the time comes.

You're also going to fall in love with a boy your senior year, so enjoy it while it lasts. Have fun. He'll be good to you, but there will be flaws, and when it ends, be prepared for the heartbreak you'll have to deal with when you get to college. It'll be a really tough time for you, but you'll heal. And you'll find that pursuing your passions will be your greatest motivator and best coping mechanism.

You have a bright future ahead of you, little guy. You're going to really grow and progress as a person in the years to come, and I want you to remember that regardless of how awful you might feel at times, or what mistakes you make over the years, you will push on forward because you're strong-willed, and you have a kind and loving soul.

Love,

Jeremy