A Letter To Myself In Approximately One Year
Life Stages

Things will be alright.

162
Madelene Whitfield

Dear Me,

It's the beginning of January. You're writing this right now because you are experiencing anxiety over almost every aspect in your life right now: "where exactly will I be in a year?" "I don't know what I'm doing right now and I'm about to graduate." "Why isn't that stupid guy from Kappa Apple Pi not talking to me?" "How on earth will I pay off my student loans?" "Can I fail a class so I can stay an extra semester?" "Why can't I be in the shape I want to be?"

Girl. Homie. Honey. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Future you will be just fine. Wanna know how I know? Because it's obvious that you care and when you care, you will have the drive to pursue your goals and dreams. Also, I'm future you so I know these things since I'm living it. So listen up!

Don't worry that that one friend is already getting a job. There are so many companies and you've barely scratched the surface. What you think might be your dream job can end up not being what you want to do. Plus, that particular friend has a 4.0 GPA and doesn't go out on Thursdays. You have a 3.4 cum, have made the Dean's list in past semesters and still have time to be a part of three organizations and go out on Thursdays while making it to your Friday 9 am class. So who's really thriving?

Who cares that 17 people have gotten engaged over the holiday season? You're all under the age of 23. You have so much more life to live. Who cares if that guy stopped talking to you? You're a catch and you know you are. Not to mention that you're too stubborn to admit that there are three other guys who'd drop everything for you. Just be happy for the newly engaged couples and keep doing you. Mr. Right will stumble into you when the time's right. As for now, enjoy being single and all the perks that come with it.

You're not alone. Thousands of people your age are in the exact same boat as you. In fact, there are more people in your boat than the "I have a decent job right out of college" boat and the "look at my shiny engagement ring" boat.

You have no reason to worry. I know your anxiety is through the roof. Paint your nails, do a facemask, light a Yankee, and just continue to breathe. Keep reminding yourself that what you're doing has a purpose in this world. Keep in mind everything that you've already accomplished. You have done so much. You have traveled, pursued dreams, dated boys, and cried true tears. You have danced in the rain, drank on a school night, fought with a friend, and then made up and moved on. You're in school and you stayed in school through all the tough times and the tears and thoughts of dropping out. You're about the graduate with a degree. You are doing everything right.

Keep going, girlfriend. We got this.

Love,

Future you.