A Letter To Those Graduating During The Pandemic

It's not the same as walking across the stage, but there's still a lot to be excited about.

20117
Karley Nugent

Dear Class of 2020,

Finally.

If you're reading this, that means the day you've been waiting and working so hard for has finally come: you're graduating from college, albeit it in an unprecedented way.

And because I know you so well, I know that you are absolutely terrified beyond measure of the fact that you are about to take this giant leap into the world of adulthood.

So first and foremost, congratulations for making it here.

Second, breathe.

Do not let the fear you feel undermine the significance of what today is in any way. Know that you have earned this.

It took years of so much struggle to bring you to this point, and I know it was never easy getting here. You faced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

From the panic attacks during the all-night study sessions for that test you thought you would absolutely fail to the nights downtown with friends celebrating being young and being alive, it feels like you've been through just about everything that life can throw at you, but you were never alone. Even in the night you were drowning in the tears from your own stress, you always had someone there to help you if you needed them.

Now here you are, at the edge of the cliff about to jump off into the next phase of life that you've been preparing to face on your own.

So breathe.

You're not a kid anymore. Well, you'll always be a kid at heart, but now society recognizes you as a person old enough and smart enough to function as an individual.

And yes, that is absolutely terrifying, but I want you to know that you'll be fine. You are completely ready for this because you've come so far.

For every breakdown, you came back and pushed forward. For every assignment you failed, you got a better grade to make up for it. For every time a professor made you feel inferior, you proved them wrong. For every time you didn't believe you'd ever make it here, to the moments before you walk across that stage right before you...well, look at yourself now.

All those times you thought you wouldn't make it in the past, mean nothing anymore. You are not defined by the mistakes you made; not by that STAT test you failed or that online quiz you forgot to take. For every error you made, you made up for it twice as hard.

Just breathe.

You know that the world won't always be nice. Maybe you have a job lined up already by now, or maybe it'll take you a few more months. Know that either way, things will work out for you, because you've always fought for the things you've wanted, just like you fought to get here today.

You wouldn't be here right now reading this letter if you hadn't earned this. There wouldn't be a piece of paper up there with your name on it if you didn't deserve it.

Don't think that every second of the last few years leading up to this very moment didn't matter. It all shaped you; it all brought you here. It's time to celebrate that now.

Please breathe.

This is your day. This is your moment.

You are ready for this. The world is yours to take on now, and you will come out on top. You've proved that by making it through these last few years. Deep down, under all of this fear you're facing, you know that you are capable of accomplishing incredible things.

So walk across that stage with your head held high, a smile on your face and the confidence to know that this is the first day of the rest of your life, and it's going to be beautiful, no matter where you end up or what you do.

Your friends and family believe in you. More importantly, I believe in you, and I am you. Know that you believe in yourself. Know that you have accomplished something great, and this is only the beginning.

For the rest of your life, this day will always serve as a reminder of just how amazing you truly are.

So go out there and see the world; do the things you've always wanted to do and travel to the places you've always wanted to go. Nothing can stop you now.

Breathe.
Happy exploring.