A Letter To My Younger Sister Before She Heads To College

An older sister's words of love and wisdom.

55
Olivia Hill

Hey Hon,

I just wanna say that I'm really proud of you for all that you've accomplished (with just a little of my help). I had to add that parenthetical in there; I'm not very good at being serious with you.

But seriously, the fact that you will be heading off to Cornell in the fall is something that I am still having trouble wrapping my head around. I can't picture you out in the world on your own, because to me, you will always be the little sister who I can look forward to seeing at home over breaks. But I know that out there on your own, you will do many great things.

It's easy for me to make fun of your quirks, but I know that in college, you will find people who will learn to love and appreciate those quirks as much as I have. I know that your positive attitude and kindness will attract only the best people to your side. But I also want to caution you about those not-so-good people. There will be a lot of them, and you need to understand that not everyone you meet will end up the truest friend. But bumps in the road are part of the package, and I know that you will make the right choices in the end.

I have faith that you will clean up your procrastination habits (aka you better) and learn to make the best of the rigor you will find in your classes. You are very smart, so I don't want you to be intimidated by anyone around you who may seem smarter. After all, you will always have your genius big sister to help you with a difficult calculus problem. I hope that you will face the academic challenges with the passion to learn, because that is what college is really all about (despite what others may try to persuade you).

Go out. Have fun. Make mistakes and memories, but never forget that you deserve to be where you are just as much as everyone else. Don't waste the opportunity. Try new things, things you can't find anywhere else, and spend your time in ways you'll be proud of when looking back. Don't risk regret for the safety of the known, as we all often do, but make the most of what is at your fingertips. The world is at your fingertips.

I will miss you very much, and so will Gabriel, but I'll sleep soundly knowing that you are out there thriving in an environment that will become completely your own. Tackle the challenges, because there will be challenges. And always be the good student and overall human being I know you are.

College will be a new chapter in your life, but it is not one without my support and the support of the rest of your family. Know I am always a phone call away... but don't call me every night. This separation will be hard (especially for Mommy who'll have to deal with Katie all alone), but it's what's meant to happen. You will have an unforgettable time and become the person you are meant to be.

And don't worry--we still have a summer to loaf around together! Love ya so much.

xoxo,

Hon