An Open Letter To My Single Mother

An Open Letter To My Single Mother

I love you mom

318
An Open Letter To My Single Mother
Nicole Kindig
"Somedays, she has no idea how she'll do it. But every single day, it still gets done" - unknown

Dear Mom,

You took on both role as Mother and Father for the majority of my life. I know that you didn't ask for that, and it would've been more ideal to have my biological father step up, and be the "dad". You made this look so easy, so normal, and made it so okay that I never really knew that it wasn't normal.

I watched you go back to school when The Great Recession hit, and you lost your job. Instead of sitting around and waiting for things to get better, you made them better. You got your bachelor's degree and worked towards a better future. I watched you climb the corporate latter time and time again, beating odds not only for single mothers, but women in general.

You taught me how to be independent. You taught me to problem solve, and think on my feet. You taught me to fight and stand up for myself. You taught me to be strong, just like you. Mom, you are the strongest person I know!

Thank you, Mom. For always trying to make things work with my father. Thank you for running me back and forth between states. Thank you for fighting for me when I was too young to fight for myself. Thank you for always saying that you cared about my father and that you were grateful for him because without him, you wouldn't of had me. Thank you valuing that relationship more than he did. Mom, thank you for picking up the pieces when my father broke my heart time and time again.

Mom, thank you for taking a job that took you away from our family and friends so that I could go to the college I wanted to go to. Thank you, Mom. For everything you've done. You always put my needs above your own, and made it all work somehow. Those months in Wisconsin were some of our worst, and you always found something positive to say about it even though it really did just suck.

Mom, thank you for providing for me. Your best was always good enough and I didn't tell you that often enough. I realize I have took you for granted when I was growing up. Thank you for loving me regardless. Thank you for loving me so much. Thank you for being my cheerleader, and for being a listening ear when I need to vent...

I love you, Mom!