A Letter To My Siblings Back Home

A Letter To My Siblings Back Home

They may be annoying and several hours away but they're still family.
11

Every year when I leave for college, one of the hardest things I have to do is say good bye to my family, including my younger siblings. Even though they annoy the crap out of me 90% of the time, they are such a big part of my life and sometimes it’s hard getting on through my day without them.

So to my siblings I left at home, here are a few things I want you to know:

Even though I live a few hours away now, it doesn’t mean that I am not still a part of your life. So when I text you randomly asking about your day, ANSWER ME! I actually want to know what’s going on in your life! Either that or use Facebook so I can stalk more effectively.

I also want you to know that I think about you guys all the time. I’ll look at the clock and think about which class period you are in or when you are getting off the bus from school. There’s that one song that I hear that always reminds me of our jam out sessions in the car or that movie with the quote that you say all the time. I smile every time I think of those memories.

I get worried about you. When I hear (FROM MOM) that you just went through a break-up or that some kid is bullying you, I get super defensive and want to rush home and punish whoever has done you wrong.

I tell me college friend’s stories about stupid stuff you’ve done. They think you’re hilarious and they haven’t even met you yet.

Even from another state, you still manage to annoy me. Just because I left something at home does not automatically make it yours! And texting me at 6 am asking if you can wear my shirt to school is not acceptable either.

I’m so proud of your accomplishments and it tears me apart that I can’t be with you to celebrate. I’m still you’re biggest cheerleader!

Don’t bother trying to steal my ‘Favorite Child’ title. I may not even be there to defend it but that just means I can’t do anything to tarnish my rep.

I know you miss me, and you don’t need to try and hide it. It’s the single worded “hey” text in the afternoon and the abnormally strong hugs when I come home that give it away. It’s OK, you’re still the annoying little kid that I know and love, I won’t give away your secret. Also, I miss you too!