A Letter To My Parents

A Letter To My Parents

My rocks in the storm of life

8
A Letter To My Parents
Chelsea Wagnon

To the ones who’ve been there:

For every phone call, every breakdown, every outcry I have had. You’ve shared my pain, you’ve encouraged my (at times) broken heart, you’ve made sure I was seen when I felt like a ghost. In my world, where nothing is constant and everything is temporary, you guys have been there. You obeyed God’s command to “be fruitful and multiply,” you’ve watched me grow. Spent more money than you should have on me because you knew I was worth it. You watched me argue with that little demon you made me call brother, and made sure that someday – today – I’d be able to call him friend.

You’ve seen me countless times at my end—broken and teary eyed, at a loss, but too timid to ask for help. Thankfully each time, God brought you in at the right moment. Each time I was at an end, you had words to give me. Words that said there’s more coming. That someday I’d be able to be more than a ghost. That God had a plan for me, that I was worth something. Every time I was lost, you found me.

You guys are my rocks amidst this storm I call life. You guys are my role models. As parents, as a married couple, as individuals. I’ve seen you at your best and at your worst. Yet I strive to be who you guys are. Because you are my rocks.

Words will never describe all the ways you encourage and motivate me to be ME while at the same time focusing on becoming a better me. The time and effort I know were spent in raising me… I’ll never be able to repay you. I am so thankful for you two because I wouldn’t be here – be who I am today – if it weren’t for you guys and your sacrifice.

From every moment of laughter at the stupid things we do. Even to every one of those pictures you post trying so hard to embarrass me. The moments where Dad still walks in and kisses my head before bed just because he can. Or the quiet times watching "Pride and Prejudice" because Mom and I just needed girl time. You guys are the best parents God could have given me, and if I had had the chance to pick I’d pick you guys every time. I’d pick every argument, every hangry moment where nobody knows what to eat, every laugh, every tear, every moment that should have been embarrassing but are now just some of my favorite memories.

This letter doesn’t even cover all the words I’d say. The moments I cherish. The things I love most about the people who have always been there. You guys are my rocks and I couldn’t have imagined better ones. Thank you for being you, and for teaching me how to live and love for God.

I love you guys so much,

The little ship being tossed in the waves of life