Letter To My High School Self, Trying To Figure Out Who You're Going To Be

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go."- Dr. Suess

6
computer

Dear high school me,

I can't believe I'm done with high school after a year and a half and I'm now in college studying, studying and studying to be a nurse. You have the fun part of being in high school and not worrying about trying to pay for college. I'm writing you this letter because I wish I had someone tell me like an older sister what it was really like when I was going to high school, so here are some things you should know.

It's okay not to go to any of those dumb high school parties

You shouldn't drink in high school. You did the right thing with listening to your health teacher about drinking alcohol and doing drugs. If you decide to drink, don't get into a car with a person who is drinking, even if they say they are sober. Call your parents or your friend who didn't go to the party.

Go to the football game with your friends

Even if you know more about sports then all of the girls in your class, go. Even if they ask what is a touchdown is, don't be a know-it-all, and explain a touchdown or what two point conversions are.

It's okay not to have a boyfriend or have your first kiss

Hello this is not Taylor Swift and her best friend Abigail having boyfriends and having their first kiss and dating the boy on the football team- this is real life. Most of us in high school don't get our first kiss, Most of us don't have a boyfriend. Most of us are not dating football players. We're just trying to pass high school.

A guy can be your best friend

Your best friend who is a guy is like your brother. He's your scapegoat, the one you'll raise heck with, and the one who will be your fake boyfriend. He'll be everything. He'll also congratulate you for acing a test or acing your homework. He'll also be like a tutor in a way if you need help with your homework.

Don't get mad at your friends when they say he's not the one

Your crush is not the one. Your friends are right when they see a loser they will tell you TOTALLY not to date him and it's fine. It's totally fine to admit when they are right.

If the guy you really like just got into a relationship with a girl, don't pester them, they'll hate you afterwards

Basically don't wink, flirt or smile or flip your hair in front of the guy who is in a relationship with another girl. Don't follow them or act flirty towards the guy who is in a relationship. If you're going to class and you see them just walk and pretend they aren't there.

It's okay not to do your homework to go to a sporting event, but do it afterwards

Just don't do your homework a week after it's supposed to be due. But honestly do your homework, you don't want to be held back. Even when you're a second semester senior.

It's okay not to have a date to homecoming or prom

Don't sweat on getting a prom date or a homecoming date, just take yourself as a date. If your friends ask who you're going with, say yourself and smile like you're proud of it.

Senioritis is okay

It's okay to just try on a test or try on homework. It's also okay to take your time and pass the final as quick as you can because you're graduating.

When you're done with your finals CELEBRATE

Celebrate that you passed and you don't have to take a class again with your least favorite teacher. Celebrate that you're done with high school forever.

Thank your favorite teachers and hug them after your last day of school

Take the time to write a thank you note to your public speaking teacher for influencing your life in a good way. Write another thank you note to your US history teacher for him making you care a little bit about history. Write ALL of the thank you notes! You can thank your PE teacher for making you try your hardest, to your yoga teacher who inspired you, to your sophomore history teacher for being cool. Also, don't forget to hug those teachers for making it happen these past four years.

Thank your group of friends

Write in their yearbooks "Thank you for being the most amazing friend, visit me while you get the chance." Hug them and say thank you for the numerous amount of years they said "I'll help you in this class, or that guy is not the one." Thank them.

Most importantly, thank your best guy friend

Hug him every chance you get. Thank him every chance you have because he was there for you the first day you met him in 8th grade and then when you went into high school. Hug him tightly and let him know how much you're thankful for his support.

Lastly, thank your family

Thank them for not making you drop out of high school. Thank them for making you try. Thank them for believing in you.

Don't take high school for granted. Make the most of high school every chance you get. Go to the events, go to football games and study, study, study. Make sure you hangout with your friends a lot and as the saying goes carpe diem and seize the day.

Love always,

Your college self