An Open Letter To My Hero

An Open Letter To My Hero

Thank you for being you

69
An Open Letter To My Hero

From the time I was small, I've always had a hero. Whether it was Barbie or one of my teachers, I always followed the example they set and strived to be just like them. As I've gotten older, my heroes have changed because I realized that it was more important to be kind, like a teacher, than tall, thin and blonde, like Barbie. Recently, I've gone through a lot of major changes in my life- going to college where I knew three people, my boyfriend shipping out for basic training, and all of the homework and tests that come along with being a pre-nursing and Spanish major. The one thing that has stayed consistent is my hero.

When I met you in middle school, I never thought that someday you would be the person I look up to, yet here we are. I know there's no way for you to see this, you being at basic training and all, but I want everyone to know. So, thank you for being my hero. I can't put into words everything you do for me and everyone else you love but thank you for being one of the few people in this country to put their life on the line to protect not only your loved ones, but people you've never met. It takes a special kind of man, and you're that kind. When you told me for the first time that you were going to be a Marine, I knew from that moment on that you would be my hero. So, thank you for being an entire new level of brave and doing what most people don't have the courage to do.

A thank you also goes to your parents- thank you for raising the most incredible, kind-hearted, brave, lovable boy I've ever met. It takes amazing parents to raise a (soon-to-be) Marine and you guys did it. None of us will ever be able to understand exactly how you felt seeing your baby boy leave for the first time but just know, you raised a hero.

Every night, I try and imagine how your day went and what we would've done if you were here and I get a little sad until I remember, my hero is training to be a United States hero and that's worth not seeing you for three months.

So, to my hero and soon-to-be Marine, thank you for being you and thank you for always being selfless, kind, and genuinely kind-hearted, even if others don't see that side of you. Keep being the hero you always have been and always will be.