A Letter To My Future Self Before College Graduation

From my current, freshman year self.
211

To the older (and hopefully more mature) me:

It's crazy to think that as I sit here writing this I'm almost done my first year of college. When I was little, people who were in college always seemed incredibly old to me, and now here you are about to graduate.

I think I have it all figured out right now - majors, minors, what I want to do with my life. Yet, I'm also pretty confident that whatever you're pursuing after graduation is probably completely different from what I expect. Whatever it is, I hope you love it.

I've had a pretty memorable freshman year - complete with a break trip to Costa Rica and a national championship - so I have no doubt that you've made even more incredible memories in your time here.

Just a few months ago, I was still nervous I hadn't made the right choice. I had high hopes, but I also knew it was hard to tell what a school is really like before even getting there. However, I don't think I ever could've predicted how much I love it here. I hope you still love it just as much as I do (and probably even more). I know you're probably sad to see it go, but I'm excited for you to move on to even bigger and better things.

I hope you got to try everything you wanted to do. I think I've gotten a good start on it - I've gotten involved in things I didn't expect to, taken classes I never thought I would, and met people I never would've met otherwise - and I hope that continued throughout your time in college. Once you're gone there's no going back, although I'm pretty sure you're more than aware of that.

I have some exciting travel plans in the near future, like a trip to NYC with my family and a trip to Galway with my best friends. I hope they both ended up being amazing trips you still look back on fondly. I hope you've gotten even more opportunities to travel to amazing places that I never thought I would see.

It's crazy to think that Sarah graduates in a few weeks, and as you're rereading this you're the same age your older sister is currently. She seems so old and mature, and now you're (hopefully) in a similar place.

Good luck in the real world!

Love,

Your freshman self