my best friends boyfriend
relationships

To My Best Friend's Boyfriend

I loved her before you did, but it's my pleasure to pass the baton.

1561
To My Best Friend's Boyfriend
Hannah Westphal

Dear Boyfriend,

At this point in time, you have spent over a year with my wonderful best friend. Although, from all the wonderful things she has told me about you two, it has seemed much shorter. Time flies when you're in love. Before you dated, she always used to talk about how interested she was in you, and how eagerly she wanted you to make your initial move. Her face would light up every time, and she would emit such a joyous energy. It is this very happiness though, that you have brought to her over time which I have never seen to this magnitude before, and for that I thank you. Aside from all the love and happiness, you bring to her though, there are some things about her that you should never forget.

She is beautiful - but you definitely know that by now. She can be so hard on herself sometimes, and I'm sure it annoys you too, knowing that you will never fully be able to show her that. Yet, as it is mine, it is equally your job to make sure to remind her of that. She is incredibly awesome inside and out, even with the "flaws" (let's be honest, she's perfect) that she possesses. She is unlike anyone I have ever met and her mind is full of unique and enlightening ideas that have helped broaden the horizons of my own mindset. Through her complexity in and of itself, she becomes a wonder of the world.

She is smart. Like, so smart. I truly mean it when I say she will make you think. I can name several intellectual conversations I've had with her that have given me the knowledge I did not have before. We both know that she can be a bit of a headass sometimes, but every once in a while she will have a stroke of genius that will leave you flabbergasted. Not to mention, she's extremely resourceful and maternal like, so you can always be assured that she will be there to take good care of you when you are falling to pieces

She is SO funny. She will make you laugh like no other. When she starts laughing so will you - her energy is that contagious. Her sense of humor is the type you were missing in your life, trust me.

She makes mistake too, whether she will admit it or not. Believe me, though, she is trying. Sometimes you won't understand the method to her madness, but her intentions are always pure, and never to hurt you. She does everything out of good reason if you don't understand it.

She will help you grow. I have told her several times how being friends with her has made me a better person. Her kindness, endless support, and encouragement will teach you how to do the same to others. The experiences you will have with her with help strengthen your own complexity and she always has something new to offer to you.

She loves you. So, so very much. Never forget it either. She loves you more than anyone or anything I have ever seen her love before. Please do not take this to heart, as she does everything she does for you out of LOVE. Just like any best friend would, I'd kill you if you hurt her, but I have trust knowing you won't. Do not take her love for granted either, because she will love you the way no one has before. Being loved by her will make you feel like you're on cloud nine and reciprocating this is something you should place at a high priority.

Naturally, because she loves you so much, I hold you to a high importance. Of course, never in the same way, but seeing the way you make her happy makes me irrevocably happier. Her wellbeing is something I have always taken seriously and I love to see her - you two - prosper. We both simply want the best for her, and if YOU are the best for her, then that's all there is to it. I loved her before you did, but it's my pleasure to pass the baton.