To All Of The Oldest Siblings

To All Of The Oldest Siblings

Thank you for being so much more than just the oldest child.

26
To All Of The Oldest Siblings
Jenn Richardson

Dear fellow oldest siblings,

First off, thank you for toughing out life as the oldest sibling thus far. I say this because I know that sometimes you may not feel appreciated. You may feel the target of all the ruthless comments about past mistakes, future plans, or not doing the dishes that one time when you were buried under hours of homework and your younger counterpart(s) enjoyed the TV. I get it and I have faced this challenge with you head on. But just understand that as a fellow older sibling, I am cheering you on as I face my own challenges.

I have grown up most of my life under the spotlight of my entire family. I was born the oldest of two children, and while that doesn't really seem difficult, I often find myself struggling to find my place in most situations. For me, in my family, being the oldest means much more than simply being the first child. It means setting an example, taking on challenges without someone older to guide you, and experiences new, and sometimes unwanted for the first time. While these things really don't seem so bad, I still have always felt that I was treated much differently than my younger sibling.

I commend you for the way you take on the challenges that come with new experiences. My most recent new experience, college, was a whole different ballgame for myself and my family and lucky for me I was the guinea pig. In all honesty, I wish it could have been the other way around because I really and truly struggle with college. I was kind of forced by reality to take on this adult role so quickly, and I can't even begin to describe to you how much I am misunderstood by my sibling when it comes to this. I spend so many hours studying and doing schoolwork that only a mere 30 minutes are spent on myself before I have to shuffle off to work. Combatting that six hours at school with another eight at work just isn't what I want at all. My parents always tell me how strong I am and what an example I have been, but why don't I feel that way? I think you guys can understand.

Thank you for dreaming and teaching your siblings to do the same. Thanks for sharing your Barbies and your toy cars. Thank you for teaching your younger siblings how to ride a bike, color correctly, multiply and divide numbers, and to just be smart. Thank you for looking out for them as they cross the road. You have done so much more than you even realize.

I also want to thank you for doing the best you can in all situations. As the older sibling, we have taken our drivers test and failed for the first time, we have been the ones to experiences loss of friends for the first time, we have also been the ones to be congratulated and celebrated for the first time. As the older siblings, we are caring, compassionate, and we look out for the little ones that follow behind us. We take on roles of maturity and gratefulness before it can be instilled in us and while you sometimes don't feel this way, I know that all of our parents are so grateful and proud for the way we have turned out. I, myself, am pretty proud as well.