A Letter To My Older Self

A Letter To My Older Self

I hope you got the clarity you always needed and ever asked for.

16
A Letter To My Older Self

Dear Future Self,

If you are not married, I hope you are happy by yourself. That you finally gave yourself a chance to appreciate who you are. I hope you found your passions, activities, and projects that make you enjoy your day to day life. I hope you found a career doing something you love and that you are proud of. I hope you realized that life is so much more than finding someone to love. I hope you look in the mirror and finally see a genuine smile. I hope you finally fell in love with yourself and realized that is who you really needed to love.

If you are married, I hope you wake up every morning smiling at the man you love; the man who allowed you to believe in love, and the one who decided to be your best friend. I hope you are happily married to him, and still laugh like you used to, enjoying all the simple moments with him. I hope you still look at each other the way you did when you first fell in love, and I hope he still holds your hand when you are crossing the street. Most importantly, I hope you realized that every time you worried about not finding love was a complete waste of time.

If you have kids, I hope you raised them to be kind, strong, and confident. I hope you raised them to follow their dreams, never to doubt themselves, and not to settle for an average or boring life. I hope you raised them to be compassionate and to be respectful to everyone they meet. I hope you were able to provide them a home full of love, positivity, and gave them true definition of a family. I hope you raised them in a way that you are proud of and a way that makes them happy.

I hope you ran into all those who hurt you once and that you looked at them with forgiveness. I hope you think of them as people who taught you lessons you wouldn’t have learned otherwise. And I hope you understand that it was never about you and it was always about them.

I hope you are still in touch with your closest friends, and that they are still as important to you as they are now. I hope you call them often to check on them. I hope you realized that every second you spent investing in good friends was totally worth it. I hope you finally understood why things happened the way they did. I hope you got the clarity you always needed and ever asked for. I hope you got your questions answered and I hope you are satisfied with the solutions.

I hope you finally took that trip to all those places you wanted to visit, and that you found beauty and a thrill in all your travels. I hope it gave you a different perspective. I hope your adventures brought you back as a better person, a happier person, and a more grateful person.

I hope you still find the same things you used to laugh at just as hilarious. I hope you still are fun. I hope you still sing at karaoke nights and send silly selfies to your friends. I hope you always run to opportunities that that turn into moments that make you feel alive or like a child again.

I hope you still read life-changing books, and that you still find new lessons to learn and new things to learn about yourself. I hope you finally wrote the book or memoir. I hope you were able to document your life somehow. I hope you still tell stories about your life and get the chance to hear others stories as well. I hope you never lose your love for deep conversations, and that you always find the right words to say.

I hope you’re strong, happy, and healthy.

I hope that when you are sitting by the window looking at that amazing view from your balcony, you look back on your life and smile.

All my best,

Your Younger Self