A Letter To My Dog In Heaven

A Letter To My Dog In Heaven

"Nothing loved is ever lost."

53
A Letter To My Dog In Heaven
Caitlin Gilby

Hi my love,

You were the best thing that ever happened to me. I am so thankful my parents decided to bring you into our home and lives. Growing up with you taught me so much; I would not be where I am today without you. While it breaks my heart that I won’t be seeing you at my bedside every morning, greeting me when I come home, eating meals together or cuddling with you, I accept that you are in a better place now.

You were in so much pain that it wasn’t fair to keep you here anymore. While I wish we could be together forever, I knew this day was coming. I hope your pain is relieved now, and that you are running around up in heaven, eating all the treats you can imagine and spending time with our other loved ones.

You were unlike any dog I have ever met. You were smart, loving, funny, kind, caring and had a big heart. Heaven gained someone special. I am not sure how I am going to move on from you. You are the first dog I loved.

Our dad asked me while you were sick, “Would you get another dog in your lifetime? Do you think you would want to go through the heartache again?”

While this might be the biggest heartache I have endured so far, I would still say yes. The heartache is worth every minute I got to spend, knowing and loving you. While I will never experience the same relationship with another dog, I hope I can love a dog again. Thank you for teaching me how to love.

Thank you for cuddling with me when times were hard, for all the laughs, your adorable smile and for being my best friend.

Life certainly won’t be the same without you, but you will always be in my heart. Forever and always.

Love,

A person who misses you dearly