Dad, Thank You For Choosing Me To Be Your Daughter

I wouldn’t want to be anyone else’s daughter.

1329
JaelAnn Hoover

If you would have asked me 12 years ago if the man kneeling in front of me would have chosen me to be his daughter, I probably would have said no. The 7-year-old girl sitting shyly on the couch all those years ago could tell that this man was kind.

He had a warm smile, spoke softly and knelt on his knees to be at the same level. Because of his actions, I could tell that he truly cared about my mother and me.

That man that knelt in front of me almost 12 years ago is you, Papa.

I think about when you and mom were dating, and I remember being slightly annoyed when my mom would talk to you on the phone for hours at night, leaving me waiting for her to come to bed.

Looking back, I’m glad that she did because it helped to strengthen the bond that you two now have. I can only hope that I will be able to find someone to share such a bond with in the future.

I remember the first Valentine’s Day gift you gave me. It was a pink, sparkly, stuffed unicorn that I still have and love. Little did you know that your “baby girl” would gain a love of glitter and later paint her walls with faint glitter in it.

Good thing you don’t mind glitter.

I remember knowing that you were going to be my dad before you and mom had officially announced your engagement. Cleaning at the county fairgrounds, a reporter asked me who my mother and father were.

My response was your name and my mother's name, and it puzzled the reporter a bit but showed that I knew you had chosen me to be your daughter. I was excited at the rodeo when you officially announced your engagement, and I’ve enjoyed going with you and mom to the rodeo every year since then.

I remember standing by mom at the altar where you and she got married, a tear sliding down my face because of how happy I was for you to officially be my dad, my daddy and my papa.

I know you saw it too. You looked over at me and smiled that kind smile that reassures me that everything will be OK, that I’m loved and that I’m your daughter.

For my 16th birthday, I’ll never forget how excited I was to truly be a Hoover. With the use of time, money and a good lawyer, you were able to have my last name legally changed to “Hoover." Not only did you choose me to be your daughter, but you gave me your last name as well.

To others, it may only be six letters. But to me, it has a deeper meaning.

You have passed on a legacy by giving me your last name. A legacy that I hope to uphold.

Throughout the years, you’ve helped me with all of my many activities, from getting my goats ready for livestock shows to transporting supplies for a demonstration. Many of the things you do are behind the scenes and go unnoticed by others.

But without your help, I wouldn’t be who I am today. You’ve taught me things about farming that have a deeper meaning in other areas of my life. Not only are you able to nurture and care for the farm, but you have nurtured and cared for me as well.

I remember watching you take care of Grandpa at the end of his time with us on Earth. As painful as it is that he is gone, I thank you. You took care of him and showed me just how important it is to take care of those you love, even when it hurts. I know that he was proud of the man that you are and even prouder of the father that you are to me.

You’ve carried on his legacy and created one of your own.

Thank you, Papa, for choosing me to be your daughter. For showing me the love of a father, which was a love that I didn’t think I deserved.

For giving me a bundle of nicknames that only you could call me. For doing everything possible to ensure my happiness and well-being.

For being the best reflection of God’s love as a father.

Words could never express all of the memories I have with you and how thankful I am that you chose me to be your daughter, but I hope that this letter expresses some of my gratitude.

Love,

Your baby girl