A Letter To My Best Friends As We Head Back To College

Here's to another year!

14
Gina Mazzaferro Photography

Dear BFFs,

Our first summer home from college has come and gone so quickly, and I really wish I did not have to say goodbye to you all so soon. It feels like just yesterday I was getting home from finishing my freshman year of college about to cry because of how excited I was that I got to see you all so soon. Now I am dreading saying goodbye again.

Yes, it should be easier this time around. We all know it’s coming, what it will be like, and found out our best ways of coping… but I still don’t like the fact we have to go another 4+ months without seeing each other. I did not enjoy missing you guys last year, nor will I this year or any other years to come.

Saying goodbye to your best friends since middle school and even before that for some, is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I tell myself every time when this time in the summer comes around that I’m not going to cry but we all know I will, and once I cry, everybody cries- so watch out. I know I will see you all again, but knowing you all aren’t a 15-minute car ride away makes me sadder than ever.

As we embark on our second year of college, remember how much I love each and every one of you. I wouldn’t be the woman I am today without all your love and support. You each have such an amazingly special place in my heart and I have no doubt that our friends are friends for life.

No matter where we go in life I am completely confident we all will be by each other’s sides cheering each other on. We are all going to piss off our future husbands when we tell them we will have about 15+ bridesmaids and that is something he is just going to have to deal with.

The world is a scary place and having such a solid group of friends there for me, for no matter how big or small the crisis may be, is something I will never take for granted. I feel so blessed every day to have the amazing friends I do and I can’t even put into words how thankful I am for each and every one of you and how you have had an impact on my life for the better.

We have all been through a lot together and there are many more trials and tribulations to come. I am very certain of that. No matter what it is, we will handle it with strength and be there for one another always.

Here is to the many Facetime calls, group video chats, drunken phone calls, and stupid texts we will have together next year and the many years to come. I love each and every one of you with all my heart and thank you for everything you’ve done for me and will do in the future.

I am so proud of you all and what you’ve accomplished within the goals you’ve set for yourselves. Now go back to school, get educated, and go out in the world and kick some butt! I am already counting down the days until I get to see all your beautiful faces again.

Love always,

Your BFF Mel