A Letter To Mom, From A Freshman In College.

An open letter to someone who has been there more than anyone.

21
Cameron Wood

Dear Mom,

Well, this is it. In three days I'm off to college. Leaving you, dad and everyone else. I'm the last one, right? You're an empty nester after this, as they say. My room will be cold and lifeless. Your kitchen will lack the traces of my midnight snacks. All that'll be left in the house will be two people. And even though you're trying your best to not show it, I know you're sad.

Have I provoked emotion? That was not the intention of this letter.

Instead, I simply wanted to say "thank you." Thank you for everything. And when I say everything, I mean it—for waiting up for me at night even when I said not to, even when I'm out later then I should have been. Thank you for providing and making me food whenever hunger stroke my stomach. Thank you for listening to every rant and complaint I had about anything; for all the conversations in life about everything it entailed. Thank you for putting me first.

But that's the thing—I leave soon. It's time to put yourself first again: Find new hobbies. Learn new things. Travel. Mark off your bucket list you keep stored away for someday, because someday is today.

People can judge me or call me a "mamma's boy" all they want, but your still one of the closest friends I have. You know more about me than I do myself sometimes. Two hours to Detroit is really nothing; One phone call away, as they say.

One last thank you—thank you for making me the person I am. My drive, my enthusiasm, my personality is all thanks to you and dad. I don't know how you parented or what kind of "style" of parenting it was, but it was the right one—you guys did it right. Which is why I'm ready. Ready for the next chapter.

This next chapter that separates our paths, yet connects them at the same time. Are you ready for it? Because I am. And I know it will be easier with you and dad by my side.

Thanks again, and love you,

—Your new college student

P.S. even though I never said it, I am sad that I'm leaving too.