An Open Letter To My Little Sisters

An Open Letter To My Little Sisters

Thanks for being the best little sisters!

438
An Open Letter To My Little Sisters
Maryanne Mahoney

To "the little girls,"

Just because I have to start this off how a big sister would: no, just because I'm writing this doesn't mean you'll get the front seat of the minivan when I'm home or the couch or get to hang out with me and my friends.

This does mean that there are a few things in this world I know wouldn't be the same without you two, and there are a few things I want you girls to know. The first thing being, congratulations! You've finally graduated in Mom and Dad's eyes as just "the girls," not "the little girls." You'll always be little to me though.

I don't really remember my life before you two came into it. It was a whirlwind of babies and preschool and car seats and cheerios thrown all over the place all wrapped into one. But around the time I can start remembering, it was always me treating you guys like I was the mom and you were my kids. Mom and Dad always had to tell me, "you can't tell them what to do you're not their mom." But in my mind, I totally thought I was.

I still want to tell you everything I know. And as you guys get older, I'll continue to share more and more. I'll say things like "the outfit you're wearing is ugly" or "that nail color is way to bold for the middle of the winter" or "trust me, she's definitely not going to be your best friend in 6 months." Sisters stick together, we'll always be best friends so who needs the fake ones?

I will always be there to tell you the truth. I'll be the first to tell you the guy you're dating is a jerk, and although you may hate me at the moment, I won't care because guess what... I'm not going anywhere for the rest of your lives, crazy girls. I can't wait for you guys to go through all of high schools crazy ups and downs, but I know I'll have to pry every single detail out of you two about who kissed who and what happened at that house party the cops came too, and the latest drama at dance. I'll always be there to listen!

You guys are the lucky, but I'm even luckier I get to be your big sister!!

I love you girls!!

-Forever your big sis :)