To My Little Brothers, I Need You To Know

A few things to keep in mind as you're growing up.

1308
Cheyenne Wilton

As much as I hate to say it, you aren't the little boys I will forever envision you as anymore.

I don't know where the time went but every time I come home now, you're even bigger and your voice is even deeper than before. You're growing older, you're getting substantially taller and it's time for me to come to terms with the fact that my sweet little brothers are growing up. With that said, there are so many things I hope to pass on to you and so many things I cannot wait for you to experience. Here are just a few things I hope you'll keep in mind on your journey into adulthood.

It's okay if you don't have any idea what you're doing.

It is okay to not know what your next step it, its alright if you don't have a plan right now. That being said, you gotta know who you are and what kind of person you want to be.

Do what makes you happy, that's the most important thing. But you still need to understand that you're going to have to do things that are less than great to get to the good part. It'll be worth it though. Find something you're good at and that you enjoy and figure out a way to be successful doing it. There's something out there for everybody, bro you just gotta find your thing.

As you're living life and finding your thing though, keep in mind that your gut is usually right. If you feel like somethings wrong, it probably is, so do what you think is best. At the end of the day you're gonna make mistakes, there's gonna be miss steps and pitfalls along the way but you'll get it and it'll be great.

Someday you're gonna fall in love.

Someday you're gonna meet someone that flips everything upside down and you won't know what you're feeling because you've never felt anything like it before. That's okay, I promise you'll figure it out. It's awkward and a little terrifying, but it's also wonderful and special.

You need to be kind, if this person is somebody you love, you need to treat them with respect and listen to what they have to say. You need to understand that you'll probably fight, no relationship is perfect, if they're that important to you, you'll work through it. If you're going to commit to a relationship, commit completely. Be smart, buddy, do what your heart tells you to but listen to your brain too.

Buy her flowers, tell her she's beautiful, hold her when she needs you to. Take her out or set up a movie date at home, introduce her to Mom and Dad and invite her to come hang out with your family. Talk to her until 3 in the morning, sing with her in the car, have fun and live in the moment. Love her with your whole heart. Most importantly, don't hurt her.

You might come to a point where it isn't working anymore and you have to end the relationship. Talk to her about it, end the relationship on good terms and remember all the good times you had together. But if she doesn't take the same care not to hurt you, if she breaks your heart, it's gonna hurt like hell but I'll be right there with you and we'll get through it together.

You gotta be nice to Mom and Dad.

They have raised you ya know. They've done everything in their power to make sure you get what you need and that you have everything necessary to be the best you can be. They love you so much.

Also, that punishment that they gave you for that thing, you probably deserved it and they did it for a reason. I know they always say that you'll understand when your older and you always roll your eyes because you think they couldn't possibly understand but they're right. It pains me to say it, but they're usually always right.

They do the things they do for a reason and you really will understand when you're older. Their strict rules are just to keep you safe, and they'll probably make you a better person at the end of the day. I know its hard to believe but they've been through a lot of the things that you're going through, they do understand and they can help. I wish I'd realized that sooner.

They've already had to deal with me and your sister, and lord knows we gave them a hard time so please, please be nice to them. They're doing everything they can to help you succeed.

I'll always be here if you need me.

I know I haven't been home a ton since I started college but I'm still only a phone call away. And if you call me and you need me to come home, I'll be there as fast as I can. You're always welcome in my house (when I become an adult and actually buy one). I love you with all my heart and I'm so happy I was blessed with not just one brother but two. You're handsome and strong and kind and I cannot wait to watch you grow and succeed.

Love,

Your Big Sis