To My Not So Little Brother Who Is Growing Up

You were supposed to be the baby, and now you're all grown up.

96
Emma Daubert

To my little brother,

Watching you grow up and become your own individual person with your own emotions, thoughts, and experiences is one of the most emotional things I have ever felt. I have such a mix of emotions. On one hand, I am so proud of who you have grown up to be and the person you are today, but on the other hand, I wish that you could stay innocent and pure forever. I wish you could stay little and we could all protect you and you wouldn't have to learn how cruel the world can be. This is just a part of life though, you grow up and you take the blows life throws at you and you make do, and you are doing it all flawlessly.

It is hard for me to have to look up to you and to realize that you are now able to pick me up and throw me over your shoulder with one hard because you are the baby. You'll always be the youngest in the family, but you are no longer the baby. You are becoming a young man and making your own decisions. We are thrilled for what is to come in your journey because we know you are bound for greatness. Just forgive me as I adjust to this new you, I hate how much of your life I am missing while I am at college. I wish it could slow down, but I don't want to hold you back.

I know as you get older the roles will start to change, you think you can protect and take care of us now that you're older and bigger, and I'm sure you can and will and you'll do a great job, but I'll always look after you and want to protect your heart and mind. I hope I have taught you meaningful lessons to help you navigate through life a bit easier. I know it gets hard sometimes, but you are capable of incredible things and I know you will be just fine.

I am so excited about what is to come for you whether that is college, relationships, athletics and everything in between, you deserve the world and you are able to go out and get it. I love you with all my heart and I wish you could stay little, but I know you are ready to grow and flourish, and I can't wait to watch you.

Your big sister